new addressing..

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


willzrailz

New Member
Hello,
I recently installed a LOKSOUND V.6 Decoder into one of my HO diesels. Prior to purchasing the decoder however, The sales person had installed the proper type of loco sounds, etc. into the decoder.
The decoder is set to mfg. default 03. I wish to set it to the proper loco address (04) short address #. I have looked through the manuals that came with my Digitrax super chief Dcc system but becomes somewhat confusing.
I know that Digitrax has a webpage but it skimps on issues that I have questions about doing this proceedure.
I know it is a very typical simple proceedure to re-issue an new address to a locomotive than that of the default address. I am wondering if there is anything on YOUTUBE that would explain this or if someone could explain it in PLAIN english for me. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Willz
 
I assume you are using the DT 400 throttle, or a variant?

If so, with no other locomotives receiving power from the same rails, or any other decoder type, place the locomotive on the tracks.

Power up the DB150 or variant, and place power to the rails using the throttle buttons. The tiny red light should show track power and your loco should be making a racket.

With that loco's address of "03" active (blinking after you click the encoder knob)...

Press "Prog" key. The display should show PG flashing under Ad2 = ??. That's good, because it is the mode you want for address changes....only. It stands for Paged Mode. When you make changes to CV's, it is a wide broadcast mode that will make all sensing decoders getting DCC make the same changes. That's almost never what you want, and usually highly undesirable. That's why no other locomotives can be on the same rails when changing addresses in Paged Mode.

Use the right side knob to dial in 04, and press "Enter". The system will beep, the loco may jerk once or twice, and it will go silent.

That's good because the DB150 kills power to the track immediately that you enter a CV figure in Paged Mode. So many people forget to cycle track power after they do an address change. You MUST kill track power and then apply it once more for the change to take place. Our DB150's kindly do that for us so we don't forget.

Now restore track power by pressing the power button and function key to get the same active throttle. Hold that throttle down for one, two, three, and release it. It should be blinking. Dial in "04" for the new address and click the encoder knob down once. Your loco should come alive and run. Press F2 for the horn or whistle. Does it sound? You have control of the newly addressed decoder.

To change CV2, which is the voltage applied at the first dialled in speed step when you twirl the throttle, you must re-enter programming, but this time click the PROG key to continue down the list until you get to "PO". That is for "Ops Mode" or operations. Now only the active throttle decoder will accept any changes. Other locomotives will ignore your inputs safely....in Ops Mode. Not in Paged. Remember this.

You dial in CV2 on the left encoder knob, and dial in the value you want in that CV for voltage at step one of speed. Note that you only do this if the loco doesn't respond until more speed steps are dialled and it finally gets underway. By changing the voltage upward in CV2, your first speed step is already set for the voltage THAT PARTICULAR DRIVE-TRAIN needs to move the locomotive at the first speed step. The loco should just barely be moving.

I explained the last bit because Paged Mode should only ever be used for address changes. Then, do remember to keep pressing PROG until PO shows so that you can do other changes with other decoders getting track current from the DCC system.

That's probably enough for now.

Sorry, I haven't looked for any videos, so I don't know any. I don't need them after all this time.

I hope I have helped, but also that I have understood your need based on my interpetation of your question.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top