Need some Technical Help w/ ATLAS Eng

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


fire28

Member
Ok all I need some help here.

I bought a Atlas Engine recently AS-IS. I got it in the mail today put it on the track(DC) it doesnt run. I popped the shell off and everything Wires/Computer Board?? Etc seem to be intact. I've never seen a Computer board on a engine before? Anyone have any thoughts to help me?

Thanks
Tim
 
What kind of loco is it? Also is the Jumper set for DCC or DC operation if it has a Dual Mode decoder? Can you post a picture of the unit.
 
I'm a novice at this stuff. I have no idea what the "Jumper Set is" Heres two photos of the unit.

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg
 


Looks like someone had a decoder in it and removed it without replacing the jumper.
This is how the jumpers should go.

IMG_2566.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Right now its a DC loco with no DCC decoder or jumper. All the jumper is is a plug that connects the pins as shown. You remove the Jumper plug and plug in a decoder to make it DCC. Shoot me your address at [email protected] and I will send you a free jumper as I have a bunch of them from decoder installs.
 
You need the jumper plugged into the sockets for it to run on DC. If the pins arent connected then you will not get power to the motor or lights.
 


While DCC is great, the more that I think about it, the more I will stay with DC. I have way too many engines to start adding decoders.

Yikes!
 
While DCC is great, the more that I think about it, the more I will stay with DC. I have way too many engines to start adding decoders.

Yikes!
Yeah. I got like 30 engines now. I did some math for DCC Set up the other day. I need to win the loto to pay for it. Since I have this 1 that apparently can be set up easy i may do it in the long run. But not my old Athearn BB's.
 
I'm all DC also and I am not going to change over to DCC. I do have 4 engines with DCC dual mode decoders only because that is the way they came. Having a few DCC units isn't a bad idea since it allows me to operate them on a couple friends DCC only layouts. Seeing one of my home road engines with trackage rights on a foreign road is a nice change of scenery and operation. My friends do not use the factory default address on any of their engines so when I come over they set a throttle up with whatever the Atlas or Bachmann default is for my units.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top