Need some ideas on a lift out/bridge section.......

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hello there,


I need a little help, this question is for modelers who have around the room shelf layouts:

I'll be making a shelf layout soon (consisting mainly of 9 1/2" planks mounted on the wall with metal L brackets). I'm one who prefers to watch the train go by and therefore it will be continuous running.

However, the room I'm using has an inward opening door in one corner, this would require a lift out section/bridge.

I would like if You can give me ideas and preferably, if possible, some pictures on how You got around this problem? I'm bad at wood work and since realism/appearance is not an issue as this layout is just for running trains, simplicity is of the essence!

I do not mind if it is completely removable section as it would eliminate the use of hinges, which may further simplify it. However securing it in place is a must (duh)!


Ideas would be really appreciated!


Thanks in advance!
 
This is my most recent build. Not pretty, but nor is it finished in this photo. What you can't make out is that, in addition to the purpose of the bridge, the surface also contains my double cross-over. Notice the wired ends of all four rails. The rail feeders end under the top surface of 1X6 where wood screws are driven up into the wood. The feeders' bare ends wrap around the screws near the head. The heads of the screws sit on the inverted L-brackets you see on the blocks. Those brackets are fed by feeders to the nearby bus. So, each of the two screws, sitting on those brackets, feeds two rail ends. I had to fashion a Y type yoke of 22 gauge wire and route the two upper arms so that they could be soldered to each of their appropriate rail ends.

The screws also double as height adjustments. It takes some initial alignment of the rails on the layout and on this bridge to ensure the bracket blocks are screwed into such a position that they secure the bridge reasonably well in lateral alignment with a bit of nudge room. For vertical alignment, just drive in the screw or back it out a smidgeon until your finger and the rolling stock say you have it just right. Once you do that, and once your layout stablizes in humidity and sag, you should not have to do much more fiddling. I did the initial fiddling ending in August, and it has been fine ever since.

DSCF2372res.png
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top