Need direction in painting random rolling stock in Norfolk Southern Coal Car Grey.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


perrymedik

New Member
Hey all!

*WARNING: This is long. Grab a fresh cup of coffee or Monster Energy Drink.*

**WARNING: You’ve been Warned.*

First of all, I need to start off by saying that I have never painted any rolling stock before!!!

I am looking for recommendations for prep, paint, and decals.

So, over the past few months I have been purchasing the Lionel 3456 Operating Hoppers for my Coal Mine and Coal Fired Power Plant. You can see the long story of how the two level Power Plant and Coal Mine work on my Layouts Facebook page listed below, but this picture should give you a quick idea.
Mine & Power Plant Schematic.jpg



I run Norfolk Southern Engines and the Coal mine is the Pocahontas Coke and Coal Co. which was a big part of the N&W and is still a major force for NS.

The Hoppers I’ve been purchasing are of any and every road name that I can get cheap with the goal of repainting them all to the current NS coal cars that I seen trundling through my town to the Coal Terminal here in Norfolk, VA. Painted is this typical grey color.
NS Hopper 1.jpgNS Hopper 2.jpgNS Hopper 3.jpg
I have two small air brushes and a vision! But I need help to get me in the right direction, so here are my questions.

-After removing all hardware from the rolling stock:

1. What is the best way to remove the existing decals without causing damage to the body?

2. If the body is currently a color, say burgundy, does that mean the plastic of the body is that color, or is it paint that needs to be removed? If so, does it come off the same way as the decals or is this a different process?

3. After removal of the Decals and body color, do I need to spray it with Primer, or do model paints already contain it? I am concerned about too much paint hiding rivet detail or causing the doors to stick open or closed because of paint build up when I re-attach them after paint. (I don’t want to spill my coal all over the place when I load.)

4. Once the body is ready to be sprayed, does anyone know what color to use, and what manufacturer is recommended?

5. I read somewhere that when you have paint you want to run it through a sprayer, you have to cut it with something. I recall it was a solvent of some kind, but can’t recall what (Acetone, lacquer thinner, etc). What do you use and what is the ratio?

6. Decals: Where does everyone get them? Do they come in kits? Do you make your own (if so, how?)

7. Weathering: What’s the recommended product for a complete rookie? I’ve heard good things about powders – any popular brand/kit ?

8. Clear coat: any recommendations on well performing products?

Yes, lots of questions, and if you’ve made it this far, Thank you! If you actually reply to my questions THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Please feel free to send me any links that have been helpful to you. I read everything I’m sent to try to learn something new.

Also, if you have any of the Lionel 3456 or the similar K-Line Operating Hoppers that you want to sell, please let me know! I’m in the market for a massive coal operation!

You can see my layouts progress on Facebook at the link: https://www.facebook.com/NSHDRR?ref=hl&ref_type=bookmark#!/NSHDRR/timeline

Thanks!

Cory
 
I'll try giving you a few basic ....

1. - those aren't decals, they are pad printed ink. My experience with Lionel cars has shown that Easy-Off over cleaner in the yellow can will easily remove the printing. Use an old tooth brush to scrub the surface. If you spray it and start scrubbing, you should be able to remove the lettering an not affect the base color. If you leave it too long, it WILL start eating at the base color and you will have a lot of work in front of you. Rinse well in hot water once the lettering is gone.

2. - The color of the plastic could be almost anything, not necessarily the same color as the same, although it could be. If the lettering comes off as described above, you shouldn't need to strip the color coat.

3. - I would recommend a primer coat regardless. It will make painting the gray color much easier to apply. Gray over a multitude of different colors may end up having slight overtones of the underlying color.

4. - Sorry, can't help you right off as to what color these are. Even your pictures are showing different shades of gray. (?) Pick a color that looks good to you and run with it.

5. - The type of solvent you use will depend entirely on whose paint you are using. There are water based, laquer based, enamel based and acetone based. Most all paint manufacturers also offer a matching thinner for their paint. You'll get the best results using the thinner recommended by the manufacturer.

6. - I wasn't able to source any of these decals in O scale. You might have to resort to having them custom made, or if you are able to create the artwork, make your own. Somebody with experience is making their own decals can chime in here.

7. - Weathering can fill a book ! I'll leave the weathering aspect for now ....

8. - For O scale hoppers, you will be going through a lot of clear finish. I've heard people getting good results using Krylon Flat or Satin spray finishes which can be found easily in most paint stores. Would probably be more feasable for these larger scale cars.

Mark.
 


For 99% of my work, I use TruColor Paint. I've spoken extensively in a couple other threads here recently.

Mark.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top