Need BLI loco

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Taggart

Member
I need one (1) Broadway Limited Imports USRA Heavy Mikado 2-8-2, Great Northern -- either #3207 (BLI-2883), or #3204 (BLI-2882). Cannot find either one anywhere. If you have one you'd sell me, or know where I might find one, please let me know. Thanks for any assistance.
 
I want the black, silver, green, boxcar red color scheme, and I don't see any unlettereds with that. I also don't see any GNs.
 


I don't blame you! I have the BLI H.M. 2-8-2, it has "Missouri Pacific" on the tender, #1430 and it is never leaving! Mighty fine locos INDEED!
 
Okay, so I'm back square one (my first post) ..... looking for BLI Heavy Mike 2-8-2 in the black/silver/green/boxcar red color scheme (road name irrelevant). Anyone having one to sell, or knowing where I could find one, please advise. Thanks.
 
I'll piggyback on Taggart's search for a 2-8-2 Mikado, though I'm looking for one already lettered, etc. for either the GN, NP or UP.

If a Mikdao can't be found, then my second choice is a 2-8-0 for one of the same three lines above.

I need one (1) Broadway Limited Imports USRA Heavy Mikado 2-8-2, Great Northern -- either #3207 (BLI-2883), or #3204 (BLI-2882). Cannot find either one anywhere. If you have one you'd sell me, or know where I might find one, please let me know. Thanks for any assistance.
 
Have you thought about relettering a locomotive? It's not very hard at all. The locomotive to the right and front, a brass locomotive, was painted for the Santa Fe and the one in the back, a Bachmann was undecorated. Decals are available for the GN. It may not be an exact prototypical match, but at least it would have GN on it.

IMAG0098_BURST002.jpg
 
Food for thought then if the real McCoy can't be found! I'm also try to verify whether or not the GN of the 1940s-1950s would have utilized steam locos (ideally 2-8-2 Mikados or 2-8-0 Consolidations) from either the UP, NP or the Milwaukee Road on its main freight routes or on branch lines. I've gotten various replies. What do you think - or better still - know about this?

Have you thought about relettering a locomotive? It's not very hard at all. The locomotive to the right and front, a brass locomotive, was painted for the Santa Fe and the one in the back, a Bachmann was undecorated. Decals are available for the GN. It may not be an exact prototypical match, but at least it would have GN on it.

View attachment 54771
 
Food for thought then if the real McCoy can't be found! I'm also try to verify whether or not the GN of the 1940s-1950s would have utilized steam locos (ideally 2-8-2 Mikados or 2-8-0 Consolidations) from either the UP, NP or the Milwaukee Road on its main freight routes or on branch lines. I've gotten various replies. What do you think - or better still - know about this?

More good info here; (GN) "The O-1 2-8-2's were assigned system wide. The class stayed intact until 1925 when the first O-1's were sold to the Spokane, Portland & Seattle. Engines 3023, 3024, 3026, 3028, 3029, 3039, 3043, 3064, 3099, 3108, 3121, 3122 and 3134 were sold to the SP&S between 1925 and 1944. The first GN O-1 to be stricken from the roster was 3113 after being wrecked in 1946. The only other wreck in this class was O-1 3128 in 1949. The rest of the class started to be retired in the 1950's, with the last 14 retired in 1957 and 1958, eventually ending up being scrapped in 1962 and 1963."

So, it looks like several 2-8-2's were in operation until 57 or 58. The last one resides in Williston, ND ( I visited that one on several occasions)

#3204 was acquired from the El Paso and Southwestern in 1920 and scrapped in 1955, 3207 scrapped in 1953.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Thank you David. Great info on the GN. So far as the Milwaukee Road goes, all I can remember switching for them when I was riding with my relatives were diesel switchers, BUT I was usually riding on the main line in electrics between Harlowtown and Avery. There could have been some steam switchers working on branch lines, but I never saw them Took a couple of trips from Harlowtown to Denton, but when I was riding, again it was diesel power doing the work. Never made it all of the way to Great Falls from Harlowtown.
 
Wow, that helps a ton. And interesting to boot. My hat's off to you!

More good info here; (GN) "The O-1 2-8-2's were assigned system wide. The class stayed intact until 1925 when the first O-1's were sold to the Spokane, Portland & Seattle. Engines 3023, 3024, 3026, 3028, 3029, 3039, 3043, 3064, 3099, 3108, 3121, 3122 and 3134 were sold to the SP&S between 1925 and 1944. The first GN O-1 to be stricken from the roster was 3113 after being wrecked in 1946. The only other wreck in this class was O-1 3128 in 1949. The rest of the class started to be retired in the 1950's, with the last 14 retired in 1957 and 1958, eventually ending up being scrapped in 1962 and 1963."

So, it looks like several 2-8-2's were in operation until 57 or 58. The last one resides in Williston, ND ( I visited that one on several occasions)

#3204 was acquired from the El Paso and Southwestern in 1920 and scrapped in 1955, 3207 scrapped in 1953.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top