Narrow guage motive power

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


sajordan

New Member
There seems to be a shortage of HOn3 motive stock available. I’ve found a few un-powered kits and only one ready to run. So, I have a few questions on the Blackstone K-27 (several versions). How does this model run, any problems? The flyer states DCC sound, but does that mean no control module installed? The price is up there, but maybe Santa will be good to me this year.
Thanks SAJ
​
 
The Blackstone locos run very well and have very good details (don't own any but have seen it run at the LHS). They have a Soundtrax tsunami decoder which controls motor, lights and sound (go to the Soundtrax web site for feature details). These engines are ready to run on a DCC layout.
All in all the price is pretty good for these engines.
 
Thank you, Waltr for the information. I feel like I'm starting from scratch since the last time I did any railroading (model) the DCC stuff was all home built from a series of articles in Model Railroader mag!
 


This is somewhat off topic, but the only locomotives I see for HOn3 and On3 in publications and online are the K-27 and C-19. Surely there were others in use on the real railroads? Shay? Climax? I've seen a few projects where guys have gone to great lengths to construct one or two such units, but no one manufacturing anything other than the K-27 and C-19.

Just seems odd.
 
Up until the Blackstone stuff, you were limited to some MDC kits and brass. Start looking on e-Bay for brass and you'll find all kinds of stuff, but you'll have to paint, re-motor, and do the DCC installs yourself! Great models though.
 
Yep, only the two engines so far from Blackstone but lots in brass. Here is a good source of logging engines that should run very well and can have DCC installed before shipping.
http://www.shayfixer.com/

Blackstone currently has a marketing questionnaire on their web site asking what you would buy if they produced it. If you're really interested in other HOn3 locos then its worth your time to give them your views. Maybe they will then produce engines for something other than the D&RG.
 
There's always been a shortage of motive power for HO narrow gauge. But now is better than in the past. I have 3 Blackstone locos. All run and sound excellent.
I also have a Brass K-36 that needs painting and DCC with sound installed.

There were some HOn3 kits available before. Lots of time and effort to get them built and running well.

MMI also made some K-27's that were DCC ready although not installed.

There are several souces that sell brass hon3 that is already painted and DCC/sound equiped. Just expect to pay premium prices.

The D&RGW is the MOST popular Narrow gauge operation ever, hence the reason for the offerings from most manufacturers.
There are some other lines though that also have neat engines like The Sumpter Valley and some of the other logging lines.
 
As mentioned above,MDC,brass, and also Ken Kidder kits that were also brass. They make believable C & S 2-6-0 locos. The ones I have were tender drive that I remotored to the boiler.
 
I knew what I signed up for

Thanks to all that responded. Some excellent information. And yes, I’m looking at a line based on the D&RGW and Malcom Furrow’s (sorry for the spelling) book. When I decided to get back to MRR, I knew what I was in for. I’ve picked up an old MDC kit from E-bay. A 0-8-0 that was designed to be a static model, probably paid too much, but it did come with re-gearing kit and instructions from an old magazine. It will keep me busy. Happy Turkey day!
 
FYI, Model Railroader has an improved version of Furlow's track plan on their web site.

The updated plan has larger curves for better and more reilable operation. There are a few other changes that would make operation more interesting.

You have to be a subscriber to access the plan in their plan data base.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I have been looking at HOn3 and have been checking around on the net for motive power. From what I have found I like the models that are available. I am looking to incorporate HOn3 into my HO layout, but seperate from each other. Now I see a lot of DRGW motive power, but do they make undecorated models as well? And the locomotives that are on the market, non brass that is, do they just come in DCC or do they come in DCC ready?
 
Blackstone makes undecorated engines. I don't know about the other non-brass ones being sold.
FYI Blackstone is making another run of its C class engine soon so the un decorated ones will be available again.
They are the only ones I know of that have DCC ready hon3 engines. Unless you buy brass that has been converted and painted etc.
 
Blackstone makes undecorated engines. I don't know about the other non-brass ones being sold.
FYI Blackstone is making another run of its C class engine soon so the un decorated ones will be available again.
They are the only ones I know of that have DCC ready hon3 engines. Unless you buy brass that has been converted and painted etc.

Thanks. I have been thinking about getting into HOn3 for a while now an figure I better start asking questions.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top