Naming Your Model Railroad

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


..., how did you decide on the name and what's the history ...

It started with my purchase of 3 Kato SD38-2's in 2004, which were not used by any of the prototype railroads that I was modeling at the time. I've always liked the steel industry, and I thought railroads with word 'belt' in them sounded cool - so Iron Belt was a natural choice for me. I checked the NMRA Pike Registry and there was no "Iron Belt" already listed so I figured the name was available.

As for its history, that has changed as well. During my brief time of modeling CSX, it was the remains of a Class I that had served all the lower Great Lakes cities in its heyday, until the collapse of the US steel industry in the mid 1980's. When I decided to base my pike on an actual prototype however, I decided to re-purpose the Iron Belt as a terminal railroad serving steel mills near Cleveland, OH, handling in-plant switching operations and local transfers.
 
My layout is freelanced but is based on the Milwaukee Road D&I division in Illinois. It's a small switching layout that interchanges with the Rock Island which is simulated by a diamond and wye. I haven't come up with a name for the layout though.
 
I named mine the "Thoroughbred Transition!" Its not modeled after a place but more of an era. I'm modeling around the time when Norfolk Southern bought out Conrail and had a mixture of both paint schemes. I'm from Central Pennsylvania and I grew up watching all of the Conrail blue slowly convert to the Norfolk Southern black
 


I named mine the "Thoroughbred Transition!" Its not modeled after a place but more of an era. I'm modeling around the time when Norfolk Southern bought out Conrail and had a mixture of both paint schemes. I'm from Central Pennsylvania and I grew up watching all of the Conrail blue slowly convert to the Norfolk Southern black

That's a creative take on the transition period!
You guys all have great names your layouts.
 
My model railroad is a planned 'work in progress' and while it has a name, I am keeping the name a secret for now, until I have a chance to start building the vital parts of the layout (Like roads, mountains, grass, buildings), and of course, adding more trains and track sets. All of this will take a while, depending on how busy I am. But once I am ready, I will unveil my layout.
 
My layout is called South Lewistown, as after a lot of research into where to place my proto-freelanced Montana Central RR I found the right geographical location for it, Lewistown Montana. as for South Lewistown? well it is in the southern part ;)
 
I'm a big BN fan and originally I wanted to do a Crawford hill layout. But after I helped jump start a car card and waybill system at my former club I fell in love with switching..so my layout now is a pure switching layout loosely based on ft worth Texas and hosts the BN, MP, and CRI&P. When I get a larger space I want to model ft. Worth more accurately. But I stole the name for my layout from Jim Senese and his Kansas City terminal layout and named mine the Ft. Worth terminal layout.
 
All my layouts (there have been several over the years of various countries railways!) have been Andersley after my wife saw a play on TV set in a town of that name and thought it would be good for a model railway.

All layouts have used either just the one word, or as in my latest (and earlier) layouts Western added to form Andersley Western to signify the American west. My previous layout in Slovenia was named Anderslej to make it sound more Slovenian!

Alan
www.andersley.co.uk
 
I named my layout "Orchard Valley". I never modelled a certain area and I really liked the name! My layout is half farm half city so Orchard valley seemed to just fit!
 


I guess my layout will be called the "Lakeview National Park" with the only town being named after my wife, "Tootsville". Don't ask :(

The Rail Company is still to be decided on BUT will be as fictitious as the area it will run through.
 
My railroad is a hypothetical reality. I tie in parts of the extensive local railroad history and add modelers license to come up with a railroad that could exist. The Lancaster Central connects Baltimore and ties into the Reading railroad making it a vital link for the B&O/Reading system. In real life this link was through the WM over 5 or 6% grades. My railroad is much flatter and comparable to competitor PRRs route to Baltimore. The former PRR line still handles coal traffic from Reading and oil trains headed to Philadelphia area refineries.
I will use 100% modelers license to add a trolley line and short line because I love the rinky dink look. The trolley line did exist between 1912 and 1917. I am extending its existence into the twenties.
 
My railroad is based upon a railroad that was planned but never completed. The original financer of the Little Kanawha River railroad also backed the construction of a (freelanced) railroad to the west between Huntington, WV and Louisville, KY the KC&L. Anyhow, the LKRR and the KC&L merged in 1922. Another merger in 1964 resulted in the Carolina, Chicopee & Central Illinois. An east-west route from Norfolk, VA to Louisville, KY. The CC&CI reaches Chicago via the Illinois Central. I model a central route through WV more northern than the C&O, McClelland's V&O, but south of the B&O route.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
 
How about Mike or Sue? Those are both good and popular names. ;)

I like that!

I can appreciate the modelers that have named their layouts and railroads, but my layout is always changing. Creativity is not my strong point.

Maybe "Pop's World" would work or better yet maybe my grandsons can come up with a name.
 
Louis,

How about the "Bruette Grand Railway" - well, I tried :(

Iron Horseman,

Hmm well - Jim or George or Bill .... ANYTHING BUT Sue!
 
Louis,

How about the "Bruette Grand Railway" - well, I tried :(
!


Hey Tony!

I like that!

Considering I have O and HO on the same layout maybe a better name might be The Bruette Goofy Railroad, either The BGR sounds good!

I should buy another N scale set and really make it goofy!
 


The Northland

The Northland​
​


In the early years of the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century, the Arizona Northland and Pacific Railroad, Inc. exists physically only as a free-lance model railroad, somewhere in-between the still-planning and the early-construction phase.

But beyond physically, this railroad has a rich identity, a history, and a corporate ethos that live only in imagination. This is an invitation for you to share that imagination.

Today's Northland railroad is set in yesterday; in the only vaguely defined "middle of the twentieth century." Actually, by just changing the types of trains and the styles of motor vehicles in the scene, the scene can be set to nearly any decade of choosing. But the baseline is the middle of the nineteen fifties: rock 'n roll is new, girls actually wear poodle skirts, milk is still delivered in cold glass bottles, and the Northland railroad is in its prime.

In order to understand the railroad in the fifties, lets take a quick look at its long and rich history. Nearly a century earlier, just a couple of years before the American Civil War, savvy investors in the Arizona territory saw the opportunity that the likely-to-come war would bring, and the Northland railroad came into being. The first rail was laid by Irish immigrant laborers on October 12, 1857. From the beginning the railroad has been prominently known not by its formal name or by its initials AN&P, but as just the "Northland."

The Northland’s directors had high-ranking associates in the United States Army, some of whom were themselves investors, and thus as war clouds gathered the Northland enjoyed early Union Army military contracts in the remote and sparsely populated District of the West. They invested those profits back into the railroad’s growth, and grew flush in those years of civil war and tragedy for America.

During the post-Civil War reconstruction era, Northland management gained for the company well laid out rights-of-way across the vast rugged country of the American west, including through some spectacular mountainous terrain. They also secured very valuable traffic exchange rights with the Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, Denver Rio Grande and Western, and Union Pacific railroads, and gained a controlling interest in a far-away Pennsylvania coal mine.

In the last decades of the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century, continuing to be fed by contracts with an Army now battling the Indians, this small financially stable Northland thrived. Rather than growing lengthwise, Northland steadily grew more and more branches of track within its own territory, serving more and more existing little communities and providing a network of steel highways to foster new towns where none had been.

The coming of the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century brought continued growth. During the Great War of 1914-1918, the company not only did very well for itself by rediscovering its lucrative roots with Army contracts, it then roared through the twenties well capitalized, conservatively constrained in growth, and virtually debt free. Because of that, the railroad survived the desperation of the thirties better than many.

In those awful depression times Northland management often ran a couple of empty boxcars on a train for those who couldn't travel otherwise. Now, at mid-century, the upcoming citizens of more than one of the small towns along the right-of-way can remember having been freezing kids standing in the snow back in those days, and the Northland train crews throwing them down big shiny black lumps of fine anthracite coal from the locomotive tenders that they could take home to grateful parents. As all times do, these times too, terrible as they were, did pass.

Now the Second World War has come and gone. Germany, Italy, and Japan are our friends again. The savage war in Korea, virtually unnoticed by so many Americans, has wound down. The mid-fifties have become a period of great prosperity in our nation. It is also the era when more than a century of American steam locomotive technology is beginning to pass away from our tracks. American railroads are modernizing, acquiring fleets of the much more economical to operate diesel-electric locomotives. For most of the decade of the fifties, both types of locomotives will be commonly seen on the nation’s tracks, alongside their respective support equipment and structures. For this reason, in retrospect these days will become known to historians as the “transition era.”

Dwight Eisenhower is in the White House. America is in the mega-boom times of the middle of the post-war decade, and Northland is hardly missing the dwindling military contracts because of the thriving civilian freight and passenger demand, particularly suburb-to-city commuter operations. Northland in this time-frame remains a profitable Class II railroad, providing valuable and appreciated service to the people of the small towns and cities along its main and branch-line routes, as it has now for nearly a century.

The US Interstate Highway System is only just being planned. The time will come when motor freight's impact on the shipping habits of the little industries along the Northland's route will cut into the railroad’s profitability. But those days are still nearly a decade away. Today pickles, paint, and plumbing supplies routinely arrive, not only into town but often directly to the local industry itself, in boxcars. Refrigerated cars bring in fresh food daily to the remotest little whistle-stop villages. Fresh milk from farms goes out to the city every morning. Fine Pennsylvania anthracite coal is profitably imported across the continent to heat homes and businesses along the Northland’s route. The products of nearly countless small industries are shipped out to the world in Northland rail cars. Railway Express is the FedEx of its day.

For most of the rural American west, the rails remain the primary link to the world. Most Americans in the mid nineteen fifties are still in the habit of travel by passenger train, as had been their fathers and grandfathers. For all that airlines are indeed beginning to thrive, train travel is still much cheaper and more familiar. In bedroom communities along the Northland's many branch lines, a stay-at-home-Mom can keep the family car all day if she drops Dad off at the train station. He can commute to his office in the city faster by train than he could possibly drive there in this nineteen-fifties world that has few freeways.

Like so many other railroads in the country, even in these mid-century bright economic times the Northland railroad is dealing with capital challenges. Nice new diesel locomotives, while far more economical to operate and maintain than the older steamers, are expensive to purchase. Diesel fuel is cheap, and new diesel locomotives certainly will more than pay for themselves across years of time, but Northland management is conservatively unwilling to deplete its capital reserves. Northland has purchased only a few diesels, which it has been able to finance at good rates through local banks, and they operate mostly on the main lines.

Older but well maintained steam locomotives continue to soldier on up and down Northland's branch lines, not yet beyond keeping in good repair by the railroad's in-house maintenance facilities. They are fueled with fine Pennsylvania anthracite hard coal, imported from the railroad’s own mine under the interline deals cut with eastern railroads two generations ago. Northland has a long-term funded plan for steam’s eventual replacement, but that time is yet to come.

Some of Northland's smaller steam locomotives are in fact over fifty years old now, in the 1950's, yet are still in daily service. The passenger cars on Northland’s commuter trains are mostly the older heavyweight style, but are kept reasonably clean and well maintained. Safety, as a matter of current management philosophy and long-standing corporate ethos, is never compromised for profit by the Northland. But 1950's railroad practices, especially as regard public access to dangerous operations, including the tracks themselves, simply are far less stringent than might be considered the norm in the early 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century.

Structures seen along the Northland's right of way often date back into the mid-to-late 1800's. As towns have grown up outward from the railroad, many of the older structures close to the tracks have fallen into decline. It's a reality that despite the value it brings, coal-fired steam-powered railroading is a dirty and sooty business for the whole neighborhood. Still, most of the old structures are alive and well in the mid-fifties, teeming with the lives of people who depend on the Northland to provide both the essentials and the frills of their daily lives.

The Northland railroad is a way of traveling in time back to an era we like to think of as having been a simpler time. Whether it really was or not makes a great debate, but there is no debate that to the people of middle America in mid-century, the railroad is still a welcome how-could-we-live-without-it part of everyday life. Welcome to Northland's world.


​

















 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top