ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Looks very good, what kind of trees are you using? Is there going to be a bit of water in the sawmill scene?
Looks very good, what kind of trees are you using? Is there going to be a bit of water in the sawmill scene?
Those are ready made trees from Woodland Scenics and I don't know if I'll add any water or not yet.
One of the things I like most about this hobby is that, sometimes, you never where it's going to take you. I was adding another station stop to the new extension leading up to the sawmill and, originally, I wanted it to be Green Cove, which is a well known station on the Virginia Creeper. It was then that I realized that Green Cove was still in Virginia and I wanted this part of the layout to represent North Carolina. So I hit the internet looking for a likely North Carolina station and I came up with West Jefferson. It seems that West Jefferson was one the last stops on the Creeper so it seemed perfect. A little more research and I discovered that West Jefferson was once famous for having the largest cheese production east of the Mississippi! So suddenly I have an excuse for adding another customer for the Creeper! I added a turnout and a spur and now I present the beginning stages of West Jefferson, NC.
The station is scratchbuilt and, while not 100% accurate is based on photos of the real depot at West Jefferson.
The Phillips Cheese Co. is fictional and is made from a Walthers "Wally's Warehouse" kit, some pieces from a Design Preservation building kit and some odds and ends I had laying around.
I don't know the first thing about the cheese business but I think this will require milk deliveries in insulated box cars and cheese shipped out in refrigerator cars. So it works out the added traffic is well worth the addition.
Ballasting and scenery will be next.
Scratch build looks good.
One more image.

Beautiful layout. A nice place to visit down I81, How did you do you appalachian mountains? are they photos placed over the "sky" backdrop? if so where / how did you get them?
Thank you.
, How did you do you appalachian mountains? are they photos placed over the "sky" backdrop? if so where / how did you get them?
Thank you.
Yes, the mountains are photo backdrops that I bought from Scenic Express.
http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1100
Wow that's really coming along, I love the before and after shots on the previous page!
Very nice!
Your layout sure has evolved nicely. Looking forward to seeing other things as you get them completed.
I never had any plans to do any sort of scenery on the staging yard but with the everything around it getting scenery I got tired of looking at bare plywood. This is the "Bristol" end that leads out onto the main part of the layout. The small yellow shed is something I made from scratch many years ago for an earlier layout. The yard maintenance building is scratch built from Evergreen, and the little tower is the classic Atlas kit that's been around since the sixties.

Oh yea, the shelf there in the foreground is the "Conductor's desk". As I started operating the layout I quickly discovered I needed a place to sort car cards and just keep the paperwork off the scenery. The card boxes hold blank switch list forms, blank freight waybills, and bad order forms.
Northern Pacific history enthusiast
I just noticed in your post 47 looks like a log scaler? Now, that is what I call realism!! nice job--
I started making puff ball trees to cover that huge hill behind Abingdon.
I try and make a little progress every night or every other night. It's finally starting to look more like Southwest Virginia and less like Southwest Arizona!
Looking nice and green with the puff balls.
Those puff trees look sweet! Nice work
It's looking more and more like SW Virginia.

I finally finished covering this hill on the outside of this curve. I wanted the look of the track going through a cut. How did I do?

Looks good!
Also looks like it took FOREVER to do all that ground cover
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)