N scale tractor trailer

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Brockways were interesting trucks, as were the old Marmons.
Don't see alot around now.
I never did care for Mack trucks, my knees were black and blue from hitting that damn steering knuckle buldge thing. Speaking of knuckles... they were bruised from hitting the windshield!
Not to mention the top of my wee pointy skull that spent its time pushing thru the roof or my elbows that were jammed into the drivers window.
Ah... those were the days! :D
 
Brockways were interesting trucks, as were the old Marmons.
Don't see alot around now.
I never did care for Mack trucks, my knees were black and blue from hitting that damn steering knuckle buldge thing. Speaking of knuckles... they were bruised from hitting the windshield!
Not to mention the top of my wee pointy skull that spent its time pushing thru the roof or my elbows that were jammed into the drivers window.
Ah... those were the days! :D

Yea the old R models were not built for anyone over 180lbs or 5'-9". Im 200lbs and 5,10" My head has hit the roof a few times, knees always rest on the heater box and driver door. My 77' had no power steering when I bought it. It has that large steering wheel that would make your knuckels hit the vent window when making fast turns. I swear I lost one of my hands when I had a blow out on a steer tire. That was a fun ride to the sholder! (I have Power steering now) It still has the 2 stick 6 speed transmission and my right elbow has almost broke the rear window a few times when I missed 3rd or 5th. But out of all those bad things the old dog has never let me down. I can work on it with my own tools and rarely need parts for it. It just keeps going and going...
 


Shame my father didn't have that luck. Not sure what model Mack it was, but he had a dump truck converted from a cement truck chassis/cab. He said his transmission blew out on him one day while he was in thick traffic. Fortunately it burst out down at the road, and not up into the cab.
 
ahh the joy's of driving junk. i started my 18 years of driving
with a 77 autoswerve, that the boss would turn into a dumptruck,
tractor,rolloff as was needed:mad: i would park a dumptruck on friday
and on monday there was a fith wheel plate where the dump box was.

then i was promoted to a dm 800 mack dumptruck then a r model
with the floor so rotted that you had to climb in from the passenger side
(that was great getting pulled over in )

Now i drive a 2005 volvo roll off with trunion rears just like driving a mack:D
 
trunion rears or as mack called them camelback is one of the most tried and true suspensions ever made. Not for comfort but reliability. Puts even weight on all 4 corners. the only one that was better for traction was the walking beam but those rode like hell. the tires spent more time in the air then on the road LOL. Those triple countershaft transmissions were good for the offroad. Outdated for todays standards but my trans still has the factory numbers on them. with over a million miles now.


I have driven a few of the U/DM macks offset cab was great for backing up in tight spots in the city but cab space was not great. the summer months with 3 cyl in the cab with you made the days long... Also driven a few big superliners with V8 power. many claim that the Superliner was converted out of a existing Brockway model before the doors shut. Most of the trucks I have driven were mid 80s vintage and loved them all..
 
yea They were both great trucks. I never have driven a Brockway but know they were tuff machines. There still are a few running around the east cost used for on/offroad dump trucks.I havent seen one here in years tho:o

I currently own a 1965 B model Mack and a 1977 RS700L Mack

You guys talking about the old Mack trucks reminds me of my dad a long time ago telling stories. One I always remembered was an old Mack chain drive w/ solid tires he drove from LA to Bakersfield and back. Don't know how often he made the trip, but that musta been something. Then later on, being out in the middle of nowhere and having to let air out of the tires to get under a bridge. And of course the stories of having to jury rig something that broke to get back home or to where he was going. Used to love hearing those stories and could have listened for hours.

Paul O.
 
It just keeps going and going...

Oh I know what you mean, they're the most popular rig on the winter roads for sure.
Do you guys get the series "Ice Road Truckers" down south? It's all about driving in the north on the frozen lakes. (discovery channel)

Here's a pic of an old girl all chained up and running for the shore. Took three tries to get up as I recall.
I have a pic of my truck when I went thru the ice somewhere here if anyone is interested...:eek:

Sorry Johnny B., didn't mean to hijack your thread, maybe you should put up some more pics just to be legit!
 
Johnny,
Nice trucks good job on them all.

Rico,
Yeah we get Ice Road Truckers down here in the states on the History Channel, love the show but don't think I could do it. Way to cold!!:cool:
 
Oh I know what you mean, they're the most popular rig on the winter roads for sure.
Do you guys get the series "Ice Road Truckers" down south? It's all about driving in the north on the frozen lakes. (discovery channel)

Here's a pic of an old girl all chained up and running for the shore. Took three tries to get up as I recall.
I have a pic of my truck when I went thru the ice somewhere here if anyone is interested...:eek:

Sorry Johnny B., didn't mean to hijack your thread, maybe you should put up some more pics just to be legit!



Thats what you call a road :eek:LOL!!!! yea we will need to see a pic of the truck that fell through the ice!


if you guys want to talk old trucks or just learn more about them check out this site http://forums.aths.org/instantforum414/
 


Okay here we go...
It was towards the end of the season and the ice was allready turning green.
I had a 48' trailer loaded with insulation and lumber up front and shingles and brick on the back. She went down slow but steady as the ice gave out until the trailer hit bottom, maybe twenty feet down or so. That's what saved my (soggy) butt.:p
It was twilight when we took the pics, sorry about the quality.
Always thought about getting a model of the truck, cutting it at an angle and putting it into an HO lake.
Again sorry for the non train content!
Now there's a project for you Johnny!;)
 
Rico....Wow..Your a Lucky man to still be here to share this story!! Glad you had time to get out. How long did you have to wait untill someone came and found you stranded. I have heard stories about trucks the went throught the ice and the driver got out ok only to freez to death outside because no cars or trucks were near to help the driver. that would be a neat little layout project. even if it was just a car that drove into a lake or something...Is that a western star? can I share your photos with some of my trucker friends?
 
It didn't take long for help to arrive, we were part of a convoy that split up at one lake and they were still within radio range when we broke thru. Luckily we only got our bottom ends wet, had enough time to get out, run away, then run back to collect our clothes etc. then run away again. Yes it was a Western Star and feel free to share the photos.
Now my idea of a winter road is anything that heads South! ;)
 
Oh I know what you mean, they're the most popular rig on the winter roads for sure.
Do you guys get the series "Ice Road Truckers" down south? It's all about driving in the north on the frozen lakes. (discovery channel)

Here's a pic of an old girl all chained up and running for the shore. Took three tries to get up as I recall.
I have a pic of my truck when I went thru the ice somewhere here if anyone is interested...:eek:

Sorry Johnny B., didn't mean to hijack your thread, maybe you should put up some more pics just to be legit!

Dont worry about hijacking my thread! I love trucks
 
wow rico
that must have scared the he!! out of you :eek:
i'm from long island new york and i DO NOT like driving on ice at all!!!:o
i'm talking about a frozen highway not a LAKE
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top