N Scale Power setup: Same as HO?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


scoobydo

Member
Hey guys, quick question.
I have just purchased a KATO GS-4 Steamer with the EM-13 Decoder and plan on letting my son try N scale.
We currently only run HO and some O.
I have an MRC 200 power supply with an MRC Blackbox to get the DCC functions from our HO fleet.
Simple setup. My son is 6 and has been running this setup for a few years now.
Normally he just cranks the MRC 200 to Full and then runs the throttle from the blackbox.
Are N scale trains the same power-wise?
or
Do I have to watch how much to crank it up. (halfway instead of full?)
I am completely new to N and I don't want to short or burn-out anything.

Any N scale power supply/throttle recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
 
I don't know if a higher voltage than usual is going to burn out a motor, but you probably won't have to worry about that. Any loco will fly off a curve before taking any damage.
 
So then is the power/voltage is exactly the same as in HO?
I know the power to the track is constant and the decoder only allows what is needed via your throttle commands, but I wasn't sure if N scale decoders were different.

If this is true, I could just leave the power setup intact for both scales. I run Unitrack in HO and that is what I bought for our N scale. With the feeder track and plugs, it would be ideal to just unplug one and connect the other.
 


I'm not familiar with those systems in particular, but I don't think you should need to do anything different. I know that before my brother got DCC he was using the same old transformer that we used on our HO layout 20yrs ago without issue.
 
it's the same. the motors are smaller, but aside from that... everything's the same.
Thanks!

I just set up the daylight train and track this morning for my son and it looks pretty nice.
I bought an assortment of cars from Atlas, Bachmann to Intermountain.
Definitely have to say the intermountain refrigerator cars are nice.
As you can see my son is not into keeping cars in the era!

I kept the power level at 50% just to be sure and that seems to be a perfect spot for the throttle to respond nicely.

Cant wait to see what sound is like in this scale.
I guess a tsunami equipped engine is in our future.
Thanks for the help everybody.
 
I've been using MRC decoders, which actually sound very good... just a little too loud at factory settings. I told someone at a LHS that and his jaw dropped. His experience was that they're usually too quiet...
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top