This is my first attempt at designing a layout. I'm open to all criticism/suggestions/ideas/opinions.
This layout is a "scenic view" only layout. It's simply to run a train through a mountainous view. I want to take advantage of tunnels, bridges, and elevation changes. The layout is an L-shape made up of three 3x3 "tiles" (27sqft total). At some point I MAY expand onto it, but for right now that is all it will be.
I used SCARM to design this and it doesn't fully handle scenery too well, so I've tried to fill in the blanks. Take a look at the first picture and I will try to walk you through it.
- The beginning point for this tour is the lower right hand of the picture.
- We begin by entering a helix @ 3.8% grade (point A).
- When we exit the helix (at point B) at an elevation of 10, we ride a ridge point around to the next tunnel/helix (point C).
- Before moving on, I'll point out that the black lines reaching up above the layout signifies the rest of the mountain that SCARM wouldn't render. Both Helices will be fully enclosed without the mountain. I will keep the mountain hollow for track access from under the bench.
- Back on track, the train enters the tunnel/helix (point C) where we drop, at a 4% grade, to an elevation of 6 at the exit.
- Out of this exit (point D), we ride a shallow valley ridge into another tunnel (not pictured, but just below point C).
- When we come out (point E), we begin dropping elevation slightly as we ride the ridge around to the first bridge (point F). The bridge levels out at 3.3 elevation.
- After we cross the bridge, we continue another small gentle decrease in elevation as we round a small foothill and we cross back over the river at the next bridge (point G) at an elevation of 2.4.
- The short journey from point G to point H enters into another tunnel which exits at point I. I should note that the black spiral indicates a peak of the mountain.
- We begin to drop elevation slightly again as we round another foothill and follow the river banks until we reach the tunnel at point J.
- This tunnel continues out drop to level elevation and emerges at point K at which point the journey has come full circle.
Again, this is my first attempt at designing a layout, but I tried to keep with the normal physics of nature. I'm open to any and all opinions, suggestions, questions, etc.
This layout is a "scenic view" only layout. It's simply to run a train through a mountainous view. I want to take advantage of tunnels, bridges, and elevation changes. The layout is an L-shape made up of three 3x3 "tiles" (27sqft total). At some point I MAY expand onto it, but for right now that is all it will be.
I used SCARM to design this and it doesn't fully handle scenery too well, so I've tried to fill in the blanks. Take a look at the first picture and I will try to walk you through it.
- The beginning point for this tour is the lower right hand of the picture.
- We begin by entering a helix @ 3.8% grade (point A).
- When we exit the helix (at point B) at an elevation of 10, we ride a ridge point around to the next tunnel/helix (point C).
- Before moving on, I'll point out that the black lines reaching up above the layout signifies the rest of the mountain that SCARM wouldn't render. Both Helices will be fully enclosed without the mountain. I will keep the mountain hollow for track access from under the bench.
- Back on track, the train enters the tunnel/helix (point C) where we drop, at a 4% grade, to an elevation of 6 at the exit.
- Out of this exit (point D), we ride a shallow valley ridge into another tunnel (not pictured, but just below point C).
- When we come out (point E), we begin dropping elevation slightly as we ride the ridge around to the first bridge (point F). The bridge levels out at 3.3 elevation.
- After we cross the bridge, we continue another small gentle decrease in elevation as we round a small foothill and we cross back over the river at the next bridge (point G) at an elevation of 2.4.
- The short journey from point G to point H enters into another tunnel which exits at point I. I should note that the black spiral indicates a peak of the mountain.
- We begin to drop elevation slightly again as we round another foothill and follow the river banks until we reach the tunnel at point J.
- This tunnel continues out drop to level elevation and emerges at point K at which point the journey has come full circle.
Again, this is my first attempt at designing a layout, but I tried to keep with the normal physics of nature. I'm open to any and all opinions, suggestions, questions, etc.
