ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi everyone, im new to the forum but so far ive been broswing and theres tons of good information around here. Here ill document the progress of my lay out, so far ive got the bench work complete (needs a little more work to be 100% complete...lol) and the track i have laid, almost done with that need a little more flex. Its all Atlas code 55, and Atlas code 55 turnouts (#5). Im going with DCC on this, Digitrax. Main industry will be grain, the other two are undecided at the moment.
Just curious however, how come you didnt make the benchwork wider along the straights? I see some nice real-estate for some background buildings and some more switching...
I actually trimmed it down for space, I kept the other portion larger for the tracks that will be with the grain facility there's 2 more going in that I haven't ran yet
Welcome aboard. I like the way you've incorporated the layout into your living space by useing the dresser tops. Interesting note: I wouldn't say I'm "obsessed" with CSX, but back when I was young and idealistic I had a go at an HO build of the well know Ganite Gorge and Northern layout (you'll fine track plans around on the web) and my first (only) engine was a CSX. So when I finally got started again in N scale I had to have the same engine as a nod to my humble beginnings. She's under powered and those beblasted Atlas couplers are driving me bonkers, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I live in Cincinnati Ohio and All I see rolling around is CSX and NS. Funny thing is Im mainly attracted to CSX because of their paint schemes lol... But yeah I had limited space as you could see so I kept it simple with a little switching and some decent long runs to have a train cruising
Im still waiting for for my Digitrax Zephyr to arrive and a a few more switchs to arrive so i can finish laying track and begin wiring my drops and what not, and Bruce im actually a plumber but ive always had intrest in working on a railroad...lol perhaps i shouldnt be so interested
But none the less heres a few pics of a little weathering i did on some rolling stock, and the trackplan.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who would chose because of a paint scheme, but I've got 12 hoppers now and collecting more I'm excited to have 20 or so, with back to back dash 8's
Little Update, got my digitrax zephyr last night and began soldering my track joiners and Getting my drops ready to be tied into the bus. I was able to run my Atlas Dash 8 40, it ran great real responsive and at slow speeds it crawls along real nice.
I understand what you're doing with the industries, but you might consider disguising the loops / ends of the dogbone a bit, just to hide the fact the trains are doubling back on themselves. Or not.
If you're running more than one train, you might also want to consider adding some kind of staging if there's room, so the trains aren't continuously looping (unless you want a "railfan" layout).
Beachbum this has crossed my mind and I'm undecided on it, I'm able to run a train about 14 cars long (3 bay hoppers) before it gets to the point where it doubles back on its self, I'm going for a lay out thats prototypical in some ways and not in others. The loop on either end bugs the hell out of me because it's a tight radius so the over hang on the cars drives me nuts but I knew I'd have that problem regardless. Long story short I'm still in the decision making progress lol
Got a lot of progress on the one loop done over the past two days including the parking lots, some ballasting and ground cover. Lots of little details left to do like stripe the lots, parking curbs, etc...but so far im liking it its not turning out bad. I've included a couple pics, enjoy. (the two buildings aren't in their permanent places yet little adjustments to be made still)
Got some ballast down on the lines between the buildings. Still needs glued, but its in place. Was tedious, wish i would have ballasted then laid the parking lots but turned out nice regardless. Hope you all Enjoy.
It's actually poster board painted "UP Dark Grey" along with some black weathering powders, it's pretty convincing. Once I get it striped and have parking carbs down it will look much better.