My University Project - please check my car allocations to industries

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


davidpen

Long Haired David
Hi everyone. My project is moving on. I have now put together a list of the industries on my layout with the cars that would be serviced at each. However, I would like some ideas as to what I have missed.

Can you go to the Test Layout page of my project web site and have a look at my ideas. I can't extend the industries but I can get more cars.
Any help would be most welcome.
 
O.H. Wright Packing is a meat packer, yes? If so - stock cars in, tank cars in for fuel oil to run the boilers, box cars in with sawdust (depending on era), refrigerator cars out, box cars out (and no, the sawdust "in" cars cannot be used as "out" cars), and sometimes gondola cars for "by products".
 
It can be a meat packers. That would add a nice bit of complexity to the design. Many thanks for taking the trouble.
 


I have now put together a list of the industries on my layout with the cars that would be serviced at each.
First, caboose are not scheduled or demanded like other freight cars. That is a totally different action than getting a fright car to service an industry.

A fuel industry would have tanks in (gas, kerosene, fuel oil, etc.), open hoppers in (coal), and box in with prepackaged things (barrels of x).
I don't know what would arrive at a freight house in a gondola. They would need some sort of gantry to unload/reload it.
I don't know what "coal supplies" are. Seems like another fuel company? Or is this supposed to be a coal mine?
Packing company could almost receive every sort of car in. stock, box (all sorts of supplies), flat (not real regular but heavy equipment), tank (chemicals for cleaning & treating), open hopper (fuel).
Feed could get covered hoppers in.
 
A team track would get a gondola or flatcar, a freight house, not so much.

"Packing company" is somewhat ambiguous. Does it pack something? What is "packed" makes a big difference in what cars are demanded. Or does it produce packing (a box or cardboard manufacturer)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top