My track plan.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Gabe

New Member
Hi, I would like some critic on my track plan.

I plan to run a freight train and a passenger train.
 


That's a good amount of space, and while I cannot speak to the virtues of a switching layout, it looks like that one will provide a great deal of entertainment.
 
Looks like a lot of fun switching freights, can't see much for modern passenger ops tho.
Mind you RDC's would work for that, or if your modeling an earlier era a short passenger train.
Are you modeling a free lance short line? This would be a great layout for that!
 
I was thinking of modeling a fictional modern Canadian Pacific branch and for passenger service I want to just have a 2 car train.
 
Gabe
Having passenger service would depend on what era you are modeling. After the '50s most branch lines didn't have any. Also your plan doesn't have any way to turn a train which would be needed to turn a passenger train. You would need a wye &/or turntable to do that (either whole train or just loco). Do you have the room to add those? But if you really want passenger service think about a double ended doodlebug so it doesn't have to be turned. And steam era trains would need the same thing if your two switching areas are any distance apart. But if you really want passenger service think about a double ended doodlebug so it doesn't have to be turned.
 
I don't have any room for a turntable or a wye but I guess RDCs would work and VIA rail still runs them on some lines.
 


Looks like a lot of fun switching freights, can't see much for modern passenger ops tho.
Mind you RDC's would work for that, or if your modeling an earlier era a short passenger train.
Are you modeling a free lance short line? This would be a great layout for that!

Agree. It would be time well spent as a switching layout and yes it would be a great layout to have your own freelance line. Good luck to ya on it.
 
Gabe is the turntable still in Nanaimo?
I remember riding on it when the turned the locos and RDC's there!
 
I don't think there is a turntable in Nanaimo, there is one in Victoria but I don't think it turns anymore.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top