My new loco needs a 'warm up' time?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Prime12

New Member
I am in process of putting a Tsunami sound decoder into a P2K GP38-2, and am having this strange problem. This is on my new 4x8 layout (meaning clean rails) powered by a Digitrax Zephyr.

Although the loco will start moving at a very slow pace, it does so in a 'jerky' kind of way, as if something is binding. (start - stop for a fraction of second - start again - repeat). I already took the trucks apart, cleaned the gears and re-lubed. There is NO binding and the trucks roll as freely as they can be.

However, once the loco makes a loop around my layout, it sort of smoothes out and the jerkyness goes away.

What's even funnier is if I cut power to the whole layout, even for just a second, and turn it on again, the binding behavior immediately returns. Then it will go away again after completing a loop.

None of my other locos exhibit this kind of problem.



Has anyone experienced something like this? Does it sound like a bad motor, or a decoder problem? I have been trying to fix this for 3 days with no luck, and am seriously on the verge of throwing the whole loco into a trash can.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Bemf

It's the tsunami's BEMF not being cooperative. The newer production tsunamis don't have that problem.

I would agree but the warmup period seems contrary.

In any event check and set to zero or close to zero the low range BEMF settings.

I have a number or posts on my problems which sounded similar and turned out to be midrange BEMF. DecoderPro is the best tool for checking this.

,,,, ken
 
I would agree but the warmup period seems contrary.

In any event check and set to zero or close to zero the low range BEMF settings.

I have a number or posts on my problems which sounded similar and turned out to be midrange BEMF. DecoderPro is the best tool for checking this.

,,,, ken

I'd suggest that you join the soundtraxx yahoo group and reading the messages regarding this problem. They've been discussing this problem for almost a year, and there are supposedly fixes for it (it involves a lot of adjusting of the BEMF)
 
You COULD try simply turning off the BEMF, I forget which CV you change to what value, but you can do it to verify that's what's causing the problem. Then if it is, you can decide if it's worth the trouble to iron out, or simply leave off and do without it...
 
Thanks for the responses guys. You guys were dead on. I turned the bemf off, and although it doesn't creep at 1 scale mph anymore, it is very very smooth :D. Since it can still move at slower than walking pace, I have no problem with it.

I'm going to read up on yahoo group archives and at least try to get the bemf working correctly. I'll post a few vids when the project is complete :D.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top