My new Layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Lynnb

Well-Known Member
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site although not so new to this great hobby. I model in HO scale in the steam era 20's.
I'll start by posting my track plan which was designed in xtrackcad. This is layout number 6 for me and probably my last. I do most of my modeling in the winter months when time permits.My layout benchwork is all built and I've been plugging away at it.
Thanks
Lynn
 

Attachments

  • Aug 19 plan.jpg
    Aug 19 plan.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,187
Here are some photos of the new room before I prepared it for the addition.I was actually restoring a 1963 vespa on the table that has the yellow comforter on it, since the cleanup the vespa went outside to the shop( still a work in progress)
AE9FBB16-250C-4338-859C-B3641B991DC8_zpsvi000p4k.png

Hole cut into the wall for new doorway
F81F1232-2465-478F-8518-7C4C6E40D6AE_zpsxa19mnsj.png

68E2F6C8-7E12-4E12-8E33-B023CF22DDF1_zpsvagm7z0o.png

Saved mountains from old layout
IMG_2700_zps3c729368.png

IMG_2701_zps8d08275b.png

IMG_2702_zps72626883.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few pics, I have since raised the track and cut in a couple dios.
I won't bore you's with the disassembly of the old layout, what a mess that was.I had taken pics of the new benchwork laid out in the old room.
IMG_27191_zps5f0cbc75.png

IMG_27181_zpsb501dfd7.png

IMG_27171_zps3250f4db.png

IMG_27161_zps4c16a898.png

The benchwork is put up and old mountains put in place, the mountains will be raised higher as I go.
S0087019_zpsdf17bff5.png

S0097020_zps9355d397.png
S0117023_zps1c6e59cc.png

S0127025_zpsa0f6a925.png

1483920_10152319330014578_1180136597_n_zps94821a43.png

0149960_10152319330029578_1684656084_n_zpsd853da47.png


Here is the benchwork in place and railbed for the mainline was routed and sat on the benchwork until I could get the elevations the way I thought would work best.
Starting from the new room and working my way into old room.
10156794_10152319330024578_726686832_n_zpsb56e5917.png

0156983_10152319329969578_1389193521_n_zps6550f9c7.png

10173341_10152319330009578_469820635_n_zps3a129ef5.png

0153583_10152319330004578_1731054413_n_zps7b5d8adc.png

0151077_10152319329979578_1758340230_n_zpscd93607a.png

0151695_10152319329994578_1710251738_n_zpsb3cccb64.png

0153435_10152319329984578_1968975146_n_zpsec288b18.png



LynnB said:
First chance I got I started raising the roadbed but there were many changes to be made as my new ideas began to come into play.I wanted a layout that the track would raise and lower with industry spurs , bridges rivers,wharf scene and a tunnel to start with.
S0218037_zpsbce57432.png

S0198033_zps4f356d6b.png

I placed a couple of the dios where I thought they would work and cut them into place.
S0288050_zpsb64649d1.png

S0298051_zps8b1cda99.png

0660729_10152737263029578_1666191958_n_zps2fa7e667.png

IMG_20140825_214716_zps13aad9b3.png


All the elevations has to flow in unison, this was a chore.

It was time to cut a river in for the old waterfall.
S0248042_zps889d4b1b.png
[/
















Thanks
Lynn
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Nice stuff, fun to work on this type of project. I've never done open benchwork. Is that structure in the first pic the venerable "supply House" kit?
 
Your 6th layout? Wow. I don't know how you guys find the time for these things. If I can complete the one layout I have started in my lifetime I will be satisfied. :)

Looks like you have a great start on that one. The plan looks interesting, too.
 
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Kyle the first picture is actually Duffy's Coal and Fox Run scratch built, I actually took a skill saw to the dio base so it is now two separate pieces. I actually have quite a bit more done that is showing in the pics, just too ashamed to take pics because of the mess I got going on. Pretty much 80 % of the track bed is raised as well as I raised the mountains higher as well I have duffys coal and fox run cut in to the benchwork.This type of benchwork is new to me as well , I some times wish I would have went with l girder rather than open grid. Once I get a bit more done and clean up the areas I'll take some updated pics.
Thanks
Lynn
 


They are quite similar aren't they. I was thinking you meant first pic as in duffys and fox run this is actually scratch built Rollin sawyers chemicals.
Thanks
Lynn
 
Wow very nice. Yep that plaster is some messy stuff.

I bet your wife is glad your layout is not in the living room. LOL
 
Lol oh ya she's quite happy. The plaster cloth is really the way to go as I went through a couple rolls in what seemed like a very small bit of real estate but its so darn expensive for the amount I would need,and the plaster of Paris which I usually use will be kept for mountain rock detailing so I resort to trying different methods and preferably less runny .
Lynn
 
Here's an update with the plaster work Ive been doing as well I'm including some upto date pics of the layout how I raised the trackwork in both rooms.IMG_20140825_214538.jpgIMG_20140825_214544.jpgIMG_20140825_214602.jpgIMG_20140825_214610.jpg
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top