ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
What about this idea: Kitbash two Plasticville firehouses? They're not bad models, you will need to do a new roof, and the man-door needs replaced with something more scale.
[QUOTE What about this idea: Kitbash two Plasticville firehouses? They're not bad models, you will need to do a new roof, and the man-door needs replaced with something more scale.[/QUOTE]
I've recently purchased a used Plasticville Firehouse and Police Station and I'm currently toying with an idea of combining them. I thought a connector between them perhaps a little taller, mostly glass in front. Make it a consistant color scheme and it could be a fair mid-century Municiple Center.
Idea could work with two Firehouses.
Hmm. I kinda remember the Plasticville fire house. Did it have a hip roof? Oh, yeah, I found some on e-bay. The hip roof presents a little challenge but I could squeeze 4 bays into a small area. I found a pair with a little roof damage with a bid of $9.99 with six days to go that I'll watch. The HO ones are hard to find. If the price doesn't get out of hand, that might be a good solution
Jim - Gee, my assembled one (only missing the top of the tower) cost me $3!
The guy I bought it from asked me if I was a member of the Plasticville Collectors Association. He said someone had bought a bunch of his stuff a while back and the seller couldn't believe anyone collects it.
By the way, the firehouse is not in their current catalog although the similar police station is.
Gary, I'll watch the various auctions to see if a cheaper one comes up but there are only three or four HO models listed. All the rest are O scale. The police station is the same on three sides, it's just the front that's different. However, the Pikestuff model is actually cheaper than the current Plasticville models.
Jim, I just caught an IMEX firehouse on Evilbay; it's a three-bay but it might be kitbashable to four, or you might consider just going with a three-bay. Sorry, I have no dimensions to give you.
WV, I've seen that IMEX model before and got all excited until I found out it is one solid, molded plastic building with the details painted on. The doors are really undersized, with the building probably being the equal of a two bay fire house in true 1:87. The worst is that there's no easy way to get those door open without routing out the plastic on the inside of the building to give it some interior room. No one wants a fire station unless you can show off your trucks in the bays.

Dang, it's not a bad looking building either. Thanks for looking though.
I didn't know about the solid resin thing UP. Vollmer makes a modern glass-type fire station, but I think it's pretty European looking.
Back to gas stations, here's the original Plasticville gas station. Some new details and I think you might have a winner.
WV, you might be thinking of the Heljan station at
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/322-1778. It would be about right if I could find the darn thing anywhere.

Walthers says June, and you know how that goes.
I loved that original Plasticville gas station. They were cheap and easy to kitbash and make into a nice station. The trouble is, they aren't cheap any longer.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)