My first retaining wall

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


cncproadwarrior

North of the 49th
Here is a pic of my firt attempt at making a retaining wall. It's made from a piece of hydrocal that I cut into the "rock" face of the wall. Painting consisted of one coat of white latex and 4 coats of black wash.
 
Bernie, for a guy with unsteady hands, it's a very nice job indeed. The color came out great. The only option I'd suggest is getting some light tan and light gray paint and painting individual rocks randomly throughout the wall. This will give the look that the rocks weren't all quarried from the same spot.
 
Bernie, you cut that from hydrocal? looks great, well done!
As Jim said, a few discolored rocks here and there will really dress it up.
 


Bernie, for a guy with unsteady hands, it's a very nice job indeed. The color came out great. The only option I'd suggest is getting some light tan and light gray paint and painting individual rocks randomly throughout the wall. This will give the look that the rocks weren't all quarried from the same spot.

Great idea Jim. I'll give it a try and see how it looks. Will post another photo.
 
I called it hydrocal but I'm not sure what it is. It's a "plastic" sheet that looks like rocks. I cut it with a box cutter. :rolleyes:

I got it at my LHS and got it for $3 bucks because part of it was missing. But I have enough to make 2 more walls.:D
 


Bernie i think it looks great!! It looks very natural and something you would actually see in real life, therefor making it look very prototypical and realistic!! Nice work buddy :D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top