ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
- Tony, first welcome back, nice to see you. I've read somewhere that some people build their layouts in modules (buildings, mountains, even lakes, etc.). But in my case, it was due to a mistake and it was the only solution. It's definitely one way of working on a layout.
Just finish working on 12 feet of mountain in my workshop and installed it on my layout
Now I need to do the finishing touch such as the joints between the module and the layout
I have one more section to do, it's a small one, just 14 inches long. Then I'll need to finish the joint between all three sections of the mountain.
I don't particularly like the trees as they seem fake, but until I can do my own, these will have to do.
I'm also working on 2 videos, one is a how I made these modular mountains and the other is on my Canadian Pacific fleet of diesel locomotives (13 different ones ranging from 1943 and 1968)
Agreed with the above - it does look GREAT! I too like the container yard and fences. What I DON'T like is how darn clean it all is - no one has a layout that clean and tidy and organized!
Agreed with the above - it does look GREAT! I too like the container yard and fences. What I DON'T like is how darn clean it all is - no one has a layout that clean and tidy and organized!
I like the paint job on those earlier CP locos, I've got a Red MP15AC with the Golden Beaver scheme and like that too, but the earlier is more attractive. A bit like our local QR which used to be in blue and gray but is now in the state sporting colors of maroon and yellow.
I was having fun taking new pictures of my layout and wanted to share them with you. Sorry, the pictures are a bit to big, but enjoy and don't hesitate to comment, I promise to not get upset.
The first 3 pictures is an overview of the entire Phase I of my layout
The next 2 pictures shows my box car freight yard
Freight yard viewed from the container yard access road
The container yard office building and storage shack
View from the staging area looking at the container yard
The freight office is being worked on, was waiting for the glue to dry and wanted to see what it would look like.
Like I said, any comments or even suggestions are welcome.
Your layout is looking very very good Hawke - everything fits together very well in my opinion. I do envy you having so much room though, especially in the first phase of your layout.
PS: really like the ballast work you have done as well.
The video is awesome. I am in hopes of putting that same technique to play on my layout. I've got the first section of rock/cliff face drying right now. I used drywall plaster instead of Plaster of Paris just because that's what I happen to have on hand. Still looking pretty good, though, just gonna take forever (like, a week) to fully dry.
Hey KB02, thanks, I used drywall plaster on the base of my container yard and it took almost 2 weeks to dry. OK, It was 3/8" thick that's why and since then I've been using plaster of Paris
Hawke,
Great video. I have a couple questions:
1. What is the paint that you are using that you dilute 16:1 brand? acrylic? enamel? what are you diluting it with?
2. What is the grass that you are using. Is that something from Woodland Scenics?
3. The small metal ring that you used to "sprinkle" the grass... did you make that or is that something from Woodland Scenics.
4. What mixture are you spraying out of the spray bottle. Is that a water and something mix?
Again great video...I really like the tin foil technique that you used.
Thanks a lot
1) I bought the Woodland scenic kit of 8 acrylic paint to learn what type of colors to use, than I used the cheap acrylic paint you find at a dollar store to make as close as possible to the ones in the kit.
2) Yes woodland scenic Fine Turf earth, soil and burned grass. (I think I do mention it in the video)
3) Would you believe it a small drain filter use in plumbing.
4) It's only water to keep the grass down and then I add the 50/50 mixture (water/white glue).
Hey KB02, thanks, I used drywall plaster on the base of my container yard and it took almost 2 weeks to dry. OK, It was 3/8" thick that's why and since then I've been using plaster of Paris
Great work Hawke. I don't know what drywall stuff or PoP you use but I buy the powder with either a 20 or 45 minute set time and mix it myself. Granted the drying time will depend on the thickness but I don't think I have ever waited for more than 24 hours for something to dry, unless it was "out of date" powder and probably would never have dried.
Actually, using 20 minute set time, I was playing around with making some "molds" of rock faces for the G Gauge. The PoP was about an inch thick and that took 24 hours to dry to a point where it was handle-able. The thing that caused it to take that long (I think) was because I did it and left it outside so the night dampness got into it.