My chase of UP 844

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Thanks for the video's. That is one beautiful train. I can't imagine the work that goes into maintaining something like that.

Paul O.
 
I had the good fortune of seeing 844 on its last stop (Olmito, TX) before it headed back home. To say that it's an awesome engine is an understatement. It's massive, gorgeous, imposing, and whatever other superlatives you care to throw at it....And the sound of that whistle is enough to make a grown man cry....(I came close...:D).
What really floored me was the ease with which it starts moving. One would expect several thousand pounds of steel to shake, mutter, groan and make all sorts of noises before it gets going. No...The thing starts as smoothly as your high-end automatic transmission cars....Absolutely stunning....!!! :eek:
 


Another thought...After watching this last video, I forgot to comment on the total MASSIVNESS of that drive train. Those side rods and valve gear are SUPER-HUGE....Not to mention the drivers...An amazing technology-the culmination of steam engine development....
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top