MR and Pelle, Sittin' in a tree...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Rodney:

Nice video of a great model railroad. Why not write an article for Model Railroader about the layout?

One suggestion for Model Railroader magazine, why not republish former articles on the great railroads that we may have forgotten about or younger modelers haven't seen or heard of before. Lets go back to 50's and 60's for the railroads. Great modeling never grows old.

I was disappointed in MR's 1,000th issue. I wished it contained more historical content of older railroads and articles. At best, it was an anniversary issue and nothing more!

Enough said.

Thanks.

Greg
 
Rodney - I have seen this video before. That is one excellent layout. I also spend time watching YouTube videos on model railroads.

There are so many really outstanding layouts that are never featured in MR but they seem to revisit some layout numerous times. I do like Pelle's work, but move on and feature other layouts. I am like Willie. I am a DC operator which for me works just fine and have no plans to convert to DCC and so much of the magazine is about DCC.

I had thought about not renewing my subscription, but when my wife see the renewal notice come in the mail. she automatically renews it. Good woman she is.
 
Chet: Can I forward my MR subscription notices to your mailbox? When your wife renews my subscription, just do the three year option.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
 


Willie: MRH, is like that, and, since they branched out into pay videos, magazine content has suffered. Since MRH remains free for the download, I'll continue downloading and reading it. MRH doesn't take up much storage space either. :rolleyes:
You know. I've downloaded every single one of those from the beginning. Have yet to read one.
 
Apparently MR is not quite so welcoming. Over the past few years I have seen complaints in forums posted by modelers who wanted to contribute to MR magazine, but found that they were turned away because the conditions were too onerous or too many hoops to jump through or standards perhaps too high. I see people throw down the gauntlet to people who complain about magazine content suggesting they write articles for the magazines. Then we find out later, many people have tried to do exactly that but were turned down. So it seems, it ain't so simple as that.
Writing good material for anything is never so "simple as that". I suppose if maintaining a certain level of quality and style is considered onerous and jumping though hoops than this statement is true. I don't think their submission requirements are onerous at all. Personally I have not turned in any articles because I read the requirements ahead of time and knew my stuff didn't qualify. I have usually forgotten to take enough good quality "in process" photos to met their currently prescribed format. Onerous is something like the "APA Style" required by many institutions for papers these days. 272 pages of exactly how each sentence must be written.

One suggestion for Model Railroader magazine, why not republish former articles on the great railroads that we may have forgotten about or younger modelers haven't seen or heard of before. Lets go back to 50's and 60's for the railroads. Great modeling never grows old.
I have been wondering that too. I suppose if they did that then a bunch of old people would gripe that there is "too much republication!". I think some of it has to do with the words verses pictures article format. I think young people are forgetting (or never learning) how to derive information from reading. They need pictures and videos these days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's like I said and was accused of being "Snarky" for stating so, people will always complain about anything under the sun. It's so easy to complain instead of thinking of ways to make something better.

I am absolutely certain that Model Railroader would welcome any well written article on any topic; so, consider writing something you feel is publish worthy and you would be making MR better!

Been there, done that, and it's a lot tougher than it seems. Probably the hardest to do is to come up with a topic that they have not done before, or at least within the last 24 months or so. Or have a new spin on performing a tried & true technique. Also you don't know what's already in the pipeline. Case in point, I once submitted an article to MR about repowering and adding DCC to a brass diesel. Andy Sperandeo and I must have had the same inspiration about the same time, because 2 months later his article appeared, mine was sent back. Not a total loss, I sent it to RMC and 3 months later it was in print.

Apparently MR is not quite so welcoming. Over the past few years I have seen complaints in forums posted by modelers who wanted to contribute to MR magazine, but found that they were turned away because the conditions were too onerous or too many hoops to jump through or standards perhaps too high. I see people throw down the gauntlet to people who complain about magazine content suggesting they write articles for the magazines. Then we find out later, many people have tried to do exactly that but were turned down. So it seems, it ain't so simple as that.

The magazine world does have a specific formula for writing an article, and each is a little different. Before writing an article, I would suggest you contact the editorial staff and review their guidelines. It will make any article more sellable. Ask them If they would be interested in the topic. You might be surprised at the result. I've run ideas past editors before, and the reaction only made me work harder and faster.

Oh, and I'm not just speaking as an observer, I've had 2 articles in "Scale Rails"(now the NMRA mag), 5 in RMC and 3 in MR between 2009 and 2015. (Yes, I have my AP Certificate as Author 1st step to MMR)

Give it a shot, it can't hurt. The worst thing they can do is say no. That being said, fledgeling authors, I would recommend starting with a lesser known publication to start with. They seem to be hungrier for new material.
 
Rodney:

Nice video of a great model railroad. Why not write an article for Model Railroader about the layout?

One suggestion for Model Railroader magazine, why not republish former articles on the great railroads that we may have forgotten about or younger modelers haven't seen or heard of before. Lets go back to 50's and 60's for the railroads. Great modeling never grows old.

I was disappointed in MR's 1,000th issue. I wished it contained more historical content of older railroads and articles. At best, it was an anniversary issue and nothing more!

Enough said.

Thanks.

Greg
G'day Greg The layout must have featured here http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/8052 I'm not aware of that publication but looks like Jim Lofland has drawn attention there . I'm not sure of the status of him and Tall Timbers these days but I wonder if so long as all is well whether Model Railroader would indeed do something on Tall Timbers. It would be a worthy addition . Unfortunately 20,000 kilometres and the lack of funds procludes me from seeing it in person but You Tube and a decent magazine article or two fills the hunger a bit. Cheers Rod..
 
Rodney: MRH is a "free" downloadable, monthly model railroad magazine. There are the usual related forums and a few pay per view services offered. Good content, but as others have pointed out, opinionated.
 
Rodney: MRH is a "free" downloadable, monthly model railroad magazine. There are the usual related forums and a few pay per view services offered. Good content, but as others have pointed out, opinionated.
G'day ... Thanks for that.. I'll have a look soon.. You know what they say about opinions !!!!
Like backsides , everybody's got one. Cheers Rod..
 
My suspicions would be that Model Railroader would have very high expectations for articles submitted. Aren't we complaining about the magazines content? Those of you complaining about M.R.'s content, must have as high of standards as Model Railroader for what you want them to include as content, so get after it!

As has been stated Pelle Solberg obviously knows how to write articles with content that Model Railroader feels fits the bill, I agree with them. This type of grumbling has been going on for ever: Pelle Solberg is just a continuation, Frank Ellison, John Allen, Malcom Furlow, the list goes on and on.

I'm not going to waste anymore time here, your welcome!
 


A lot of speculation on the future and the "fall" of Model Railroader magazine. Is it possible that MR may stop printed editions and be only available on the web? The current MR Video Plus seems to be a testing ground for this change and ModelRailroader.com looks to have paid advertisers to boot.

New editor, new ideas?

Just an ideal.

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
MRH proved that an on line only e-magazine is feasible. Their "Trainmasters" is direct competition for "MR Video Plus". It is entirely possible that Kalmbach will go that route with MR.

RMC, on the other hand, appears to be thriving, as a "print" magazine, under the auspices of White River. There appears to be little effort to establish MRC as an on line publication.

Perhaps, under Hal Miller, MR will regain some of it's past luster. Time will tell.

While slightly off topic, there doesn't seem to be as much debate over content, with Kalmbach's other rail magazines, "Trains", and the Hi-Rail oriented magazines. of course, that's a different subject. The point being that the problem could be the editorial staff, if MR is the only one with an issue, and possibly, Kalmbach has made adjustments in that direction.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joe - I really was excited when RMC was back in print. I personally like to sit in my recliner (with a cold beer?) and enjoy a print magazine instead of having to sit in front of a computer screen. Print magazines are also easy to refer back to if I find an article that interests me by just marking the magazine with a sticky note.

I do subscribe to MRH and enjoy many of the articles thay have but can't do that while relaxing in my recliner.

I still prefer a print magazine, but MR isn't what it was years ago, although my wife keeps renewing it for me. (Sorry Greg, have your own wife to renew your subscription)
 
Chet: I have become accustomed to reading books from my Kindle Fire. I have not attempted to download and read MRH on the Silk browser yet, but I may do so, as I tend to take the Fire with me on trips or when I'm in for a wait. I can subscribe to MR through Amazon, at the same rate they charge for an annual subscription. I presume I will be able to store it on the SD card, instead of depending on the cloud, so I could have access when I'm not connected to WIFI. might not be the same as a magazine, but not as cumbersome as dragging along the lap top. Most of the time I use the Fire to watch MLB games on MLB TV.
 
I try to have as few gadgets as possible so I need the print copy. If it weren't for work, I would rather not even have a smart phone. Miss my old Motorola flip phone.
 
Worst part of the gadgets is the lack of wifi in places where you would expect to find it. I no longer have a land line phone, for voice communication. I have a phone line as part of my cable package, hooked up to my printer as a fax line. Found I needed one, when we started dealing with the MIL's affairs. Otherwise, we are wireless. However, reading, or watching baseball and hockey on a smart phone, is challenging. That's why I have a Kindle reader, that doubles as a notebook. Advantage of a wireless phone, is that it comes with me, I'm not limited as I would be with the land line. With caller ID, and voice mail, I choose which calls I accept or reject. If it's important, they will leave a voice mail message.

Having said that, I still like a good magazine, to relax and read, which is why I get RMC and TRP, a quarterly fan oriented publication by White River.
 
We haven't had a land line for close to 20 years. The wife and I each have our cell phones, and our internet is wireless, with the transmitter ona bench about 2 miles to the west of us. We have our own router for wi-fi which my wife likes. She can do her bowling info and print to a wireless printer. She can also do her on line shopping any where in the house. My son who is a computer geek named our wi-fi router "FBI Surveillance Van". He does have a good sense of humor.

As I mentioned, I try to get away with as few gadgets as I can. There's a commercial on TV for this guy selling a vest so people can carry around all of the different size electronic gadgets that they have. I really have to laugh at that. I can easily carry a phone in my pocket, but trying to carry a laptop, or even an E-reader would be a pain for me because of the odd size. Doesn't fit in my pocket.
 
There's a commercial on TV for this guy selling a vest so people can carry around all of the different size electronic gadgets that they have. I really have to laugh at that.

Chet: I have seen that commercial, it's absurd, then again, some of my wife's friends will order two...:rolleyes:

My home wireless router sits between the living room and dining room, next to the newer of two wireless printers. The new HP prints from phone, i-pad ,fire or lap top. The older Canon only prints from the lap tops, and since win 10, doesn't have full function. My phone syncs with the F150, so I can use it hands free, if I need to answer. Come to think of it, I've been wireless for a long time now. Big change from a hard wired network, DSL connection, Fax line, and two voice lines. Verizon Land line lost a lot of business. :rolleyes:
 


All,

I wasn’t going to comment on this topic due to the hopes that it would run its course and die, however I will comment. I don't think this person being mentioned here is in the caliber of model railroading. Lastly, here are five people who I believe are true model railroading masters, Although there may be a few others which are . Enough said.


Allen McClelland The Virginian and Ohio


Tony Koester The Allegheny Midland


George Sellios The Franklin and South Manchester

John Whitby Allen The Gorre & Daphited


Bob Hayden The Carrabasset & Dead River


BCK RR
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top