Modern switchers

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


"Modern" switchers seem to be few and far between. The MRL/BNSF yard in Laurel,MT is currently using SD35's with remote cabooses. On occasion you'll see a GP9 hooked to the cabooses and in the MRL yard in Billings. They also have a couple of SW1500's in the area to switch the local refinery and other local switching. In Helena they use an SD9.....not a modern loco in the bunch.
 
If they don't have Gensets they'll often use MP15s and GP15-1s. Some railroads though repurpose older road locomotives. Like for years Santa Fe used stuff like GP35s and GP38s with their turbochargers removed and UP sometimes uses older SD40-2s.

BNSF was using SD40-2s at Clyde Yard in Cicero, Illinois not long ago. Not sure if they're still there.

It SEEMS like anything that's not hauling over-the-road freight can wind up as a switcher, either by the original owner or when sold to another RR, so I wouldn't worry too much about having a Genset or a GP or whatever unless I were modeling a very specific time and place.
 


I have decided to go with that Kato SD40-2 as my new yard switcher. I'm ordering it tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how she runs.
 
I don't care what the modern RR's use these days. Unless they look like one of these, they'll never be switchers in my book!! ;)

100_3558.jpg


100_3560.jpg
 
OK I'm still trying to decide what to get.

I found this Kato SD40-2 w/DCC & Sound, does anybody have any experience with these units?

http://www.katousa.com/Zcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_116_117&products_id=597

How do they run, is the sound good? (I think it has a Digitrax decoder in it).

How are the details?

Thanks,

Michael

I have decided to go with that Kato SD40-2 as my new yard switcher. I'm ordering it tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how she runs.

Kato makes an SD38-2, which several railroads purpose-bought to use as heavy yard switchers. They are also available with DCC and sound. In fact, I have two of them.
 
Any of those for sale?

That was the "in the works" pile. Most of those have been detailed up and sent off for DCC and LED installation. I'm collecting switchers for my JTEX layout. It's based on LTEX in Marysville Ohio. It'll be the first strictly switcher re-builders.
 
That was the "in the works" pile. Most of those have been detailed up and sent off for DCC and LED installation. I'm collecting switchers for my JTEX layout. It's based on LTEX in Marysville Ohio. It'll be the first strictly switcher re-builders.


If you decide to part with the Rio Grandes, please keep me in mind ;)
 
If you decide to part with the Rio Grandes, please keep me in mind ;)

That is funny that you mention the Rio Grande one. I pulled that one off of the shelf tonight and added the last few details to it. It was missing the air line for the bell and the windshield wipers. Not anymore!! LOL

101_0677.jpg
 


Trey, you mean like this one???

101_0678.jpg


I've 2 of the SW14 cabs, I just need to finish them. Then paint them up for the IC (my parent RR).
 
That is funny that you mention the Rio Grande one. I pulled that one off of the shelf tonight and added the last few details to it. It was missing the air line for the bell and the windshield wipers. Not anymore!! LOL

101_0677.jpg

That looks great!! (I'm ignoring the patch - [finger in ears] LA LA LA LA LA LA LA :D)
 


The BNSF yard near here is using SD40-2s for yard switching.

Jerome, do you use any criteria in determining what details go on your locomotives? I have several SW1500s and I would like to do the same thing but I have no idea where to start in detailing these other then trying to decifer prototype pictures.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top