Modeltrainsweathered changing

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.

hamltnblue

Active Member
Just received an email from Modeltrainsweatherd.com
They're changing their website to subscription only and charging 20 bucks a year.

From the email:
Blah Blah Blah,

So what's this Email all about you ask?

Well, modeltrainsweathered.com is now going to
begin Access to the Forum by
"Yearly Subscription"

The Subscription Rate is quite low
and something that I believe to be fair.
The rate is $20.00 per year
which basically comes out to a little over
5 cents a day.
To continue having Access to the Forum,
Subscribe Today
Once again, I have a list of all the Members that have Joined, by date.
So, if you received this email, it's because
you Joined before August 1, 2008

All member accounts not subscribed by Friday August 7th, 2009
will be deleted from the Member Database.

Thank you.
Rich Divizio​
 
Agreed, They do have some good looking stuff but not worth it to me. I see it more as a club then a forum and have no problem with it.
 


I got the email as well. I was a member over there, and i did learn some stuff, however i found most of the members to be stuck up and very rude. I understand i asked for criticism and opionions on the weathering i was doing, and i got some nice tips and good suggestions from a couple of the members, but from a few others i got nothing but things i was doing wrong, basically saying my weathering was bad and not getting suggestions on how to fix things i was doing wrong. I even had a guy tell me my photography needed to be improved by shooting better angles!!

I dont know, maybe im over reacting, but i just think that some of the members could tone down there rude attitudes a little and be a little nicer and more helpful to people who are not experts in weathering rather then just saying "your weathering is not prototypical" or "your weathering is not realistic, the streaking and rust is all wrong....". Maybe if they would have said how i could have improved it rather then just saying my streaking was wrong, i would have taken what they said a different way.

I blew most of the comments off that just said i was doing it wrong and took the tips and suggestions i got from the members who actually gave me good things and things i could improve on, but i havnt posted there since. I was an active member there for maybe 2-3 months before i had had enough of the members attitudes over there. It seems to be that its a very small and tight group of people over there and if your not one of the original guys who joined the forum when it opened, or your not an expert in the weathering department right off the bat or you dont catch on, then they just dont treat very well and are rude.

I for one liked the weathering i was doing, and thats all that matters i think. I also got lots of great comments saying i did a great job from the other forums i posted the same weathering pics on. I guess since the forum is dedicated to only weathering, they think they can be rude and harsh to everyone and only point out all the things you do wrong, instead of pointing out the good and the bad and how you can improve.

I wont be subscribing to the the new weathering site, especially not if i have to pay $20 a year to be a member of a forum in which most of the members are rude and stuck up. :rolleyes:
 
I'd guess, in these economic times, the site owner is strapped for cash and needs to supplement his income and bandwidth does cost money. I visited the site once or twice. I came to the same conclusion as Josh. Rude, arrogant and obnoxious are words that come to mind.

I don't think the site will last long now that it is subscription only.

Bob
 
I agree Josh. I'm a member there too but will not be paying to get bashed or watch others be bashed. Some of those guys are very good at what they do no doubt about it, but who wants to pay for the abuse if you don't do it their way. Get a life guys, it's not that damn serious!
 
I understand i asked for criticism and opionions on the weathering i was doing, and i got some nice tips and good suggestions from a couple of the members, but from a few others i got nothing but things i was doing wrong, basically saying my weathering was bad and not getting suggestions on how to fix things i was doing wrong. I even had a guy tell me my photography needed to be improved by shooting better angles!!

i'm not member there so perhaps they indeed very rude but i cannot think of anyone more rude folks then hobby photographers. in their language request for constructive criticism sounds like this - "please tear this picture apart" which they happily do

when you ask for criticism be prepared to get criticism. that means putting a thick skin on. i'm not really interested in "thats good!" comments for my work because in my opinion it is good already, otherwise why would i share it (unless asking for help). i am interested however to know why my work is not liked by some. i might still disregard the comment but i want to know. if someone likes my work i expect to hear nothing. i expect to hear the shortcomings though and i expect people saying it like it is and not sugarcoating being afraid to hurt feelings. true, it can get upsetting at a times. live with it (and get some thick skin)

or are you asking to be patted on the back?

to the topic. bandwidth does cost money. i'm not going to be using paid forums
 
On a narrow gauge group I follow one of the fellows was offering an online "magazine" on narrow gauge subjects. I visited it a few times but didn't get a whole lot out of it. Then he had the bright idea of changing it to a paid subscription. I wasn't interested enough to pay for it. Only lasted a short while then it folded. It will be interesting to see how this one fares!
 
It's not just about having thick skin on that site. The main members on that site argue amoungst themselves about how to or what to use to do it "right". Wanting to nitpic about the color of the rust streak or whether or not it's wide enough and goes down the car far enough. That's why I say get a life! Criticism is one thing, being arrogant and rude because you don't agree based on your opinion is quite ridiculous. Those of us who are members there or have been there to check it out will agree on why not to pay to be there....slow economy or not.
 
... It seems to be that its a very small and tight group of people over there and if your not one of the original guys who joined the forum when it opened, or your not an expert in the weathering department right off the bat or you dont catch on, then they just dont treat very well and are rude...


I wont be subscribing to the the new weathering site, especially not if i have to pay $20 a year to be a member of a forum in which most of the members are rude and stuck up. :rolleyes:

Yup, I stuck my head in there a couple of times and looked around a few years back and decided it was a club of good ol' boys. I don't need that...or them. I have eyes, and as Bob B. points out, there are tons of open sites with excellent examples of weathered models of all kinds...not just trains.

I don't need to pay $20 for a yearly subscription to a site where too many participants have terrible communications and interpersonal skills, and inflated egos. I can get that any one of the free forums I frequent on a regular basis. Why pay for it?

I will say, though, that many of the fellows on that site know what they are doing and are willing to help others to achieve their level of skill. It is just that there's too much chaff with the wheat. If they wish to have me as a paying member, then tighten up on the jam. Make it sweeter and more fruity.

-Crandell
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Sweeter? More fruity? lol Never heard those terms used in model railroading before, Crandell. lol

And a bit of back slapping here is due. I think this site has some of the most knowledgeable and helpful hands as any forum on the web. I won't single anyone out, your egos are just where I like 'em.

Some are better versed in areas where some may be weak. But, as a whole, it's tough to beat the guys here, as a group, with their experience, expertise, and willingness to help.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Bob
 
when you ask for criticism be prepared to get criticism. that means putting a thick skin on. i'm not really interested in "thats good!" comments for my work because in my opinion it is good already, otherwise why would i share it (unless asking for help). i am interested however to know why my work is not liked by some. i might still disregard the comment but i want to know. if someone likes my work i expect to hear nothing. i expect to hear the shortcomings though and i expect people saying it like it is and not sugarcoating being afraid to hurt feelings. true, it can get upsetting at a times. live with it (and get some thick skin)

or are you asking to be patted on the back?

Ohhh trust me, i fully expected to get tough criticism, thats why i said "comments, questions, criticism and suggestions welcome". I had seen some comments from some of the other newbies who had joined the site around the time i did. What i failed to see about the members comments about the other newbies work however was what had happened to me, the rude and nasty comments.

Its tough to stay with a site when all the members are stuck-up people who only think that themselfs and the other few members of the tight group know how to do it right. Getting harsh and rude comments with no help as to how to fix or improve is just plain mean. I'd like to thank the few members over there who did give me criticism and also tell me how i could improve.

My point being, who wants criticism without hearing how to improve the work? I mean who honestly would wanna hear only put downs on something you just worked hard to achieve??? Exactly why i stopped posting and will not be subscribing to the new site.
 
Well the rude and nasty comments happen on a lot of boards, Try Diesel Detailer, Trainorders, Atlas, LOL. You get some guys that are way to serious and think they are the best. I can care less how great their modeling is as in the end its still boils down to playing with TOY Trains. As for modeltransweathered, I looked at it a while ago and have the same feelings as others that some guys think they are the best and stick their nose up at anyone looking for info. I have seen some of the work there and working around real trains for a living I can find various discrepancies with even the best weathering jobs from that site. Either way from what I can see you will always have the know it alls, rude forum owners that think they are GOD, and members that can’t do anything but stir trouble.
 
hmm, well i'll take your word for it guys. although i can hardly imagine forum more rude then our local motorcycle riding one.

i'm awaiting my password to that forum (such vierd arrangement), but i guess i'll have to skip.
 
hmm i joined there about a month or so ago, i never got that email.

Anyone that joined after August 1st 2008 basically gets a free year, so don't expect to get the letter until you've been there a year.

I'm a member at MTW, and have not had the bad experiences some of you have. I've always received constructive criticism and knowledgeable answers to my questions. MTW is not for everyone, you need a thick skin and to be looking to improve, not just get a pat on the back.

In my opinion, most forums are very diluted and full of pat on the back people because, as was stated earlier in this thread, most people don't want to hear criticism about something they've work hard on and are proud of. And that is all well and good, but I like MTW because I know I can post something there and get an honest critical opinion about it.

Both styles of forum atmosphere have there place and may not appeal to everyone all of the time. I hope this $20 per year fee doesn't scare too many people away, but with the current economic times, it may hurt things.
 
I'm quite sure that it will be around, but it won't have 1800 plus members. It may have 1200, but not 1800.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That would be $24,000, or $2000 a month. Seems like an awful lot to be paying for hosting services and bandwidth to me.
 


Maybe this should be a "no comment" thread for me. I feel this is "needed" to keep the riffraff out... MTW seems to be quite exclusive. I'm sure if you feel you're a weathering guru, you'll pay, otherwise, you'll go elsewhere (like here, its free!)...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top