Modeling your local area

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I model the area I live in, but back in the 50's when I was growing up. The town names and the industries are what we have locally. I didn't try to duplicate any buildings or industries exactly, but freelanced, and have what I call a "could have been" railroad. It was built as a switching layout. Instead of having the tracl loop through the layout, I chose to have the main line pass through the layout only one time. This leaves more room for towns and industries. It is a point to point layout, but there is hidden staging that can allow for continuous running.

A lot of the industries on the layout ship to various industries on the layout as well as shipping freight to points beyond the layout. Although the main line run is short, switching duties can take as long as an hour or more for a local train.
 
I have to drive about 40 miles to get to the original N&W at Berryville, VA. The terrain is a little more hilly, but not steep mountains. Pretty much the same kind or area.
 
My last layout was an N Scale combination of two famous railroad locations here in Southern California. The Cajon Pass and Tehachapi Loop. It was a simple design that essentially utilized the design of the Tehachapi Loop but with the distinct rock formations and scenery of the Cajon Pass. When visitors saw it they recognized the scene right away.
 


I'm modeling my families historic railroad in Florida , but I fear finding palm trees and cabbage palms for the landscape will be difficult. Anyone have any ideas about where to find tropical type landscaping materials ? I am new to model train so I dont have a lot of information on suppliers.
 
I'm modeling my families historic railroad in Florida , but I fear finding palm trees and cabbage palms for the landscape will be difficult. Anyone have any ideas about where to find tropical type landscaping materials ? I am new to model train so I dont have a lot of information on suppliers.

Woodland Scenics and Noch, both make decent looking palm trees. There are a few other manufacturers that make nice looking palm trees as well. Maybe someone else can remember who the others are.
 
Check out Plastistuc's architectual line, I believe they have palms. A number of years ago Fine Scale Modeler had an article on making palms for larger scale military modeling scenes that might be scaled down. They were made out of paper. Looked great.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top