ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Good morning......I am recently retired and now have time to pursue model railroad layout construction. I am interested in using HO scale trains from the late 1800s - early1900s era with scenery to match. I already have built a few Campbell Scale Models. That is the extent of my journey, so far, into model rairoading.
I would really appreciate any information re. a startup layout, quality train manufacturer...basically anything you might think would aid a person new to this hobby
Thanks very much!
Good morning......I am recently retired and now have time to pursue model railroad layout construction. I am interested in using HO scale trains from the late 1800s - early1900s era with scenery to match. I already have built a few Campbell Scale Models. That is the extent of my journey, so far, into model rairoading.
I would really appreciate any information re. a startup layout, quality train manufacturer...basically anything you might think would aid a person new to this hobby
Thanks very much!
Hi,
Like you, I am retired and starting up the hobby I put on hold many years ago. Plan to build a layout in our 12' X 20' bonus room in HO. I also started with craftsman type kits, mostly in wood and metal.
You can't go wrong with most any of the current loco's and rolling stock. Since you're modeling the steam era I can highly recommend Bachmann Spectrum ( especially the 2-8-0) loco. It gets great reviews and mine runs flawlessly. You can also still buy the wood rolling stock kits. LaBelle is one source for cars from that era. They have a website.
Have fun. It's what it's all about.



Thanks
Appreciate your comments. At times this project seems a little daunting when trying to create a layout when you have no idea what is right, wrong, or otherwise. Have been researching layouts, but have not found anything that works for or appeals to me. Thanks also for your comments re. locos....I like the Spectrum Shay, but would like to have at least 1 or 2 more of a different design; could not locate the 2-8-0 in Bachman's 2010 catalogue.
Well thanks again and enjoy your railroading.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)