Model train wheels

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Fedor

New Member
I am considering starting a new line of steam engine driving wheels. I 've contacted precision metal workers and experimented a bit with 3D printing and I think it is possible to make wheels that are both not too expensive and can be designed to more specific needs.

About the wheels: the wheel band will be turned Stainless Steel in scale H0. The center will be 3D printed PVA and PLA. The center can be anything you wish: any number of spokes, bull-eyed, you name it. The axles are Stainless Steel as well and will be available for the most used gauges. The price will be somewhere around €3.50 (£ 3.00 or $4,00) per two wheels + axle.

I want to start with a wheel size that many people use and later on add more sizes to the range. My question to any of you: would you be interested in such wheels? What size would you order and how many? (just inquiring, not taking orders ;-) jet)
 
I'm still trying to find a set of 27" drivers for a porter 0-4-0 project. I was planning on getting the body 3D printed so this would save me a bit of trouble from trying to come up with a 3D design myself.
 


Tried to fill in survey, but one of the required answers is country, and USA is missing. There is no way to answer by typing the name. If the wheels will be less than NWSL or Greenway Products wheels, I'm very interested.
 
@GPWrangler: 27" would be somewhere around 7.5mm in H0 so that would be possible. As soon as I have enough demand for this size I will be happy to take a shot at designing the centre part you require.

@Cajon: For a start my wheels are cheaper and the center can be designed to specific requirements. I do not supply gears, jet.

@CJcrescent: of all countries you could miss in a dropdown list, USA would be one of the worst. Sorry for that. I've put it in now.

@Iron: This is one thing I have to test. Stainless steel was choosen because of the price but I have spoken with people who have good experience with it for wheel bands.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top