While researching the UP heritage fleet cars for the train I want to build (and as Walther's in their wisdom is discontinuing the cars they have produced once sold out and it sounds unlikely any more in the line will be produced in the near or foreseeable future), I wanted to see if any from the ones available or from the City train cars could be adapted.
To my surprise (although it shouldn't be) I found (apart from the "Willie James" that I knew was prototypically incorrect) that 2 of the dome cars are also not quite right.
The Walther's "Colorado Eagle" which should be an 80 seat car is in fact the "City of Portland" (which actually I'm pleased about as it's the only Dome diner with a full kitchen in the fleet and the model is so fitted, albeit without extractor roof vents. The window arrangements are totally different as well).
The other is the "City of San Francisco" which on the side with the door at the right hand end, the prototype lacks the window between the 2 "belly" windows and the door. The Walthers car has that window which does appear on 2 other fleet domes, the "Harriman" and "Walter Dean" and they are fitted out with a card room behind that window, as is the model.
So, the upshot of all this mind bending, goggle eyeing excercise is, I have ordered 3 x "C of SF" domes, 2 x "Columbine"(same floor plan as "Challenger"), 1 x "Colorado Eagle" nee "City of Portland", 3 x 44 seat "Katy Flyer"(all the coaches look to have the same floor plan), 1 x 12 B/RM smoothside sleeper(crew car), 3 x 4-4-2 "Imperial" sleepers ( I doubt Walthers will ever produce the sleepers that are actually in the fleet), 2 x ACF Baggage cars (ex C&NW City pool cars) and 1 x 48 seat Diner "City of Los Angeles".
I have 2 Rapido Cafe/bar/lounges I will press into service, 1 for the crew's benefit, the other for all the paying railfans I'll need to recompense this splurge.
All up, an 18 car train to be pulled by the D&RGW heritage SD70Ace and another or 2. Gonna need a big track with wide radiuses and maybe lots of heavy passengers (do they still make lead soldiers I wonder) to keep 'em on the track. What I really need is the "844" up front as well.
Alternatively (and unprototypically), I might at last be able to run my P2K ABBA set of all powered PA1/PB1 Alcos up front.
To my surprise (although it shouldn't be) I found (apart from the "Willie James" that I knew was prototypically incorrect) that 2 of the dome cars are also not quite right.
The Walther's "Colorado Eagle" which should be an 80 seat car is in fact the "City of Portland" (which actually I'm pleased about as it's the only Dome diner with a full kitchen in the fleet and the model is so fitted, albeit without extractor roof vents. The window arrangements are totally different as well).
The other is the "City of San Francisco" which on the side with the door at the right hand end, the prototype lacks the window between the 2 "belly" windows and the door. The Walthers car has that window which does appear on 2 other fleet domes, the "Harriman" and "Walter Dean" and they are fitted out with a card room behind that window, as is the model.
So, the upshot of all this mind bending, goggle eyeing excercise is, I have ordered 3 x "C of SF" domes, 2 x "Columbine"(same floor plan as "Challenger"), 1 x "Colorado Eagle" nee "City of Portland", 3 x 44 seat "Katy Flyer"(all the coaches look to have the same floor plan), 1 x 12 B/RM smoothside sleeper(crew car), 3 x 4-4-2 "Imperial" sleepers ( I doubt Walthers will ever produce the sleepers that are actually in the fleet), 2 x ACF Baggage cars (ex C&NW City pool cars) and 1 x 48 seat Diner "City of Los Angeles".
I have 2 Rapido Cafe/bar/lounges I will press into service, 1 for the crew's benefit, the other for all the paying railfans I'll need to recompense this splurge.
All up, an 18 car train to be pulled by the D&RGW heritage SD70Ace and another or 2. Gonna need a big track with wide radiuses and maybe lots of heavy passengers (do they still make lead soldiers I wonder) to keep 'em on the track. What I really need is the "844" up front as well.
Alternatively (and unprototypically), I might at last be able to run my P2K ABBA set of all powered PA1/PB1 Alcos up front.
Last edited by a moderator:
