miwing track types

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


MitchyG

the new guy
I am getting a trian set and it comes with a loop or brass trackor life like snap track. I plan on upgrading it with atlas code 83 (nickel silver) I have a few questions.

#Is it ok to mix brass track and nickel silver?

#What is the rail hight? (code)

#What metal is the snap track made of?

#Does the road bed seperate from the track on the snap track?

PLease reply soon!
Thanks!
 
(1) Mixing different types of metal track will work, but brass requires more maintenance than any other type of track.
(2) The brass or LifeLike track will almost certainly be code 100.
(3) The LifeLike Snap Track can be either nickel silver or steel, they make two different kinds. Gray roadbed is nickel silver, black roadbed is steel, just like Bachmann's line of EZ Track.
(4) No. The track will not separate from The LifeLike snap track. The only roadbed track that is removable, to my knowledge, is the Atlas TrueTrack.

Before you buy any track, answer yourself this question: Is this layout going to be permanently mounted to a board, or will you have to be undoing the track frequently? If it is going to be permanently mounted, then I would start off with the Atlas sectional track, the non-roadbed kind. If it will have to be separated frequently, I would really recommend going with Bachmann's nickel silver roadbed track with the GRAY, not black, roadbed.
Different brands of roadbed track will not interchange with each other. The connector ends are different. And even the Bachmann gray track is slightly different in height from the black track. So after you decide if it is to permanently mounted or separated frequently, pick a type of track and stick to it.
Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The brass will likely be code 100 and you're gonna be spending a lot of time keeping it clean. Brass tarnishes quickly. Under no circumstances use Brasso in an attempt to clean it. It leaves a film behind that is slick and it can also act as an insulator. The GLEAM method may work for you in this instance. I've never tried it on brass but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Learn more about it HERE.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top