Mining operations anyone???

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.




Any really. I'm even entertaining the idea of a stone quarry. Ore possibly too.

Do you have an era and location in mind? To accurately model a mining operation, you'll need to narrow down what type mining you are interested in. There is a huge difference in open pit ore mining in Minnesota and underground red ore mining in Alabama, for example. The same holds true for coal mining.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Some photos of the mine on our G scale layout:

minetrain.jpg


sourdoughf.jpg


bwminedump.jpg


mine2a.jpg


minejp.jpg
 
Very nice Matt!
I have that loco and am waiting for those cars in the mail. Now I know what to do with them.
 
I have tons of photos of old mining structures and equipment. Some of the best where taken at the Tonopah Historic Mining Park, where they have several fully intact mines:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Tonopah_Mining_Park.html

There is also some neat stuff at the Central Nevada Museum, which is also located in Tonopah, NV:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Tonopah_Museum.html

And there are many more photos of old mines of all sizes in my Ghost Towns and Mines listing:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Ghost_Towns_and_Mines.html

Here's a couple photos of the Cliffside Mine on my 1/24th scale In-ko-pah Railroad:

wIMG_0019.jpg




MineLights_0927.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Ray! Looks like a great little mine. I appreciate you putting the photos up too. I'm doing some work on getting my narrow gauge mining operations under way.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top