Minimum radius for HO?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


1st a little info:

I "want" to start with the HO Digital Commander Deluxe Set w/DCC for one main reason, gets me started in DCC and gives me 2 Engines and controller/power pack for about $175 shipped.

My layout table will be an L shaped 10' 8" x 8'. Both leg's ( of the L )will be against a wall and 36" deep.

I was using "Anyrail" and "EZ Track" to help figure out my layout. You can see I was trying to have an oval inside the longer leg, but keeping to a minimum if 18" radius on the inside, ment I ended up with a 22.5" radius on the outter rail. This puts me needing a min of 4' depth, and I think that will be too much.

If I wanted the outside track radius of 18", what would I have to make the inside track, and would it work reliably? I'm not sure how many axles are on the 2 engines that come with the set, and want to run both at the same time.

I'm still on the fence on if I want the ease of using the EZ track or going with the flex track.
layout1.jpg
 
Welcome on the forums !

Locos that have 6 axles will not work on anything smaller than 18"
i suggest you read a lot around the internet before starting to build. The bachmann dcc system may not be the best choice for you. One of the first thing to do when building a layout woul dbe to make a list of druth and given :what you want to run (material, era, switching/mainline passengers and/or freight, where the railroad is located), and what you have to make up with( room size, budget..). Posting these will help people here help you to the better of their knowledge
 
Locos that have 6 axles will not work on anything smaller than 18"

I was afraid of that. Guess an inside oval is out of the question.

One of the first thing to do when building a layout woul dbe to make a list of druth and given :what you want to run (material, era, switching/mainline passengers and/or freight, where the railroad is located), and what you have to make up with( room size, budget..). Posting these will help people here help you to the better of their knowledge

I'm not too worried about making my layout era/mainline/freight correct. Just a project to make something up I can enjoy playing with.

I posted my planned layout size, and budget is moderate, considering the cost of everything combined. Thats why I wanted to start out with the $175 set mentioned above.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


if you get 4 axles locos you would be able to run well on the inside loop. people sometime use a small 4 axles switching engine on tight radius and yard and a 6 axles loco on the mainline with smooth radius
 
I can't answer your last question, sorry, but I agree with what should be a general consensus that 18", while considered a standard, if tight, curve in the HO world in years past, is really not regarded as anything but an absolute minimum for anything except small switchers, docksiders for example, and geared or industrial track/back woods type locomotives. Even 22" is regarded as about the shortest radius one should actively consider. {Note- this should not be taken to mean that it is a hard and fast rule, and that nobody uses those curves these days....FALSE!}

An L-shaped layout is not going to accommodate a loop unless it is almost too deep to reach into and/or the curves are going to be something that you get really tired of in a short few weeks. It is best to deal with all the compromises you need to make to enjoy a robust layout for months and months rather than stare in dismay at it in just two months time when it no longer meets your needs and interests. If you really are going to have to use an L-shaped layout, make it a realistic, perfectly natural real-world, switching operation, or a point-to-point between a major industry and a client of the output of that industry....your rails providing the transportation. You can still include engine servicing, a diner, a playing field, roads, crossings....all those things that will make you pleased with the outcome, and actually enjoy running it. Better yet, it also means your curves can widen hugely and it will look so much better....no overhanging car ends and derailments!!

-Crandell
 
An L-shaped layout is not going to accommodate a loop unless it is almost too deep to reach into and/or the curves are going to be something that you get really tired of in a short few weeks. It is best to deal with all the compromises you need to make to enjoy a robust layout for months and months rather than stare in dismay at it in just two months time when it no longer meets your needs and interests. If you really are going to have to use an L-shaped layout, make it a realistic, perfectly natural real-world, switching operation, or a point-to-point between a major industry and a client of the output of that industry....your rails providing the transportation. You can still include engine servicing, a diner, a playing field, roads, crossings....all those things that will make you pleased with the outcome, and actually enjoy running it. Better yet, it also means your curves can widen hugely and it will look so much better....no overhanging car ends and derailments!!

-Crandell

I have a polebarn, but I hate to heat/cool it as needed. So, I'm stuck with trying to put something in an exsisting guestroom that really isnt used but a couple times a year ( guest can sleep with the trains or get a motel ). Its about 15'x10' 8" in size, so the " L " shape on 2 walls leaves me enough room for the bed and a nightstand.

Any source for layouts on simular size L's, I could get idea's from?
 
With a 15' x 10' room, why don't you try to maximize your layout space with an around the walls layout. You could have a drop-down bridge for the door entry.

And place a bed or futon in the center of the room when you have guests.

Please post a diagram of the room, including any objects, windows, doors, etc.
 


i have seen some layouts using 15 inch radius, but the cars have to be short. used some four axle diesels on 15 inch, just doesnt look right, but works.
 
OK, I just did a quick sketch for you. It's a folded dogbone shape around the room.

Minimum radius is 24" Curves and #6 switches. So you are able to run your 6 axle diesels and long passenger cars. This is just the mainline, you could probably add a small yard, a town, mountain tunnel, whatever you want.

Layout1.jpg
 
Very nice Motley! I'm sort of handicapped, not sure I could get in those access holes or not. Not sure on how to do the drop down section either, but I think I should be able to find something on it.

Thank you for taking the time to draw that up.
 
Very nice Motley! I'm sort of handicapped, not sure I could get in those access holes or not. Not sure on how to do the drop down section either, but I think I should be able to find something on it.

Thank you for taking the time to draw that up.

No problem Jim, glad to help. My name is Michael.

Regarding the access holes. Are you in a wheelchair? If so, maybe you can make the layout height high enough that you could roll under, and make a little door latch the swivels down. Or something like that. You can make them bigger also.
You will need access with no more than a 24" - 32" reach.

Not sure if you want a continuous running layout? You could make it a point to point and get rid of those loops all together. Trains can terminate at those loops with a yard, industries, coal mine, etc. Just make sure you can reach everything.

The drop down bridge is easy. I found a few pics on another forum. You will want to wire up the drop down section with a DPDT switch so that the power to the section will turn off when the bridge is down. To avoid trains falling into the abyss.

Read this thread. http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/p/110880/1277222.aspx#1277222

IMG_2921.jpg


IMG_2920.jpg


IMG_2904.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Michael, my wife nixed your plans. She didnt like the bed so confined.

No biggie. I guess I'm moving out to the barn to build my setup. Lots of room to do as I please there.
 
Michael, my wife nixed your plans. She didnt like the bed so confined.

No biggie. I guess I'm moving out to the barn to build my setup. Lots of room to do as I please there.

Aha, well you'll be much happier with more room anyways. When I started my layout about 8-9 months ago. It's 15' x 12' Not even finished yet. I already want more so I'm extending into the next room 9' x 9'. No CEO (wife) for me. :p

Let us know what your new space will be and we can help you with a solid plan.
 
After much consideration, I nixed the polebarn idea. Hated the idea of going out there in sub-zero temps just to fire up the firplace and come back inside while it heats up. And keeping it heated all winter would be too costly.

So, I tore down the closet I had in my original room to make room for the bed, and now have room for this layout:
layout.jpg

The squares on the pic are scale of 1 sq foot each ( 10' 8" left to right, 8' front to back on each side). 30" table top on all sides. This will be an HO project.

My thoughts are Eastern states with mountains on the left side, so I can landscape an autumn scene in the hills and desert scene on the right side with maybe a NM mountain in the upper right corner. I'm thinking of having an upper track/train in N gauge on the eastern mountain top. I'm wanting to do a lumber mill motiff on the eastern side and not sure about the western side yet.

Idea's?
 
After much consideration, I nixed the polebarn idea. Hated the idea of going out there in sub-zero temps just to fire up the firplace and come back inside while it heats up. And keeping it heated all winter would be too costly.

So, I tore down the closet I had in my original room to make room for the bed, and now have room for this layout:
layout.jpg

The squares on the pic are scale of 1 sq foot each ( 10' 8" left to right, 8' front to back on each side). 30" table top on all sides. This will be an HO project.

Idea's?


30inches is really deep, usually 2 feet is common. I dont know the extent of your handicap, but if your in a wheelchair, i do not believe you would be able to reach that distance.
 
I'm not in a wheelchair. Just cant get on my hands and knee's to crawl through to an opening.

I was thinking more of 27" depth, with radius inside corners ( making it 30" ) add if needed for the track. Something I started with Xtrakcad ( still figuring out how to use it ):
layout2.jpg
 


My 02c;

- Having messed with a 4x8 board, you never want to be more than 30" away from reaching "it" (whatever "it" may be!) - Sure, "mountains" & "industries" can go further away in the corners, but you *are* going to to need to reach 'em more than you'd like...... (IME)

If your space is now really about 10x8, with no relevance applied to the "bay window" you mentioned above (?), I'd look at "peninsular" style layouts - A real quick sketch below - Your door moved between posts :) The corners would be better curved than square as shown, but hopefully you get the idea.

Can you step into the bay window area? - *That* would be awesome!

Cheers,
Ian
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top