Milwaukee Road Engine # 1802 as Built (1944) Color Scheme Question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


seppburgh2

New Member
Milwaukee Road Fairbank-Mores H10-44s were first introduced to service in a yellowish-orange and gray color scheme (https://www.thedieselshop.us/FM_H1044.HTML) in 1944. I am planning on modeling the first one, 1802, and researching what colors were used? The first units were not painted in Milwaukee Road orange and black.

Does anyone can refer me to a color reference (brand, color/stock number) or mixing ratios for these colors? From research, this paint scheme is similar to the Union Pacific (UP), but Armor Yellow (dark muster color) and Harbor Mist Gray don’t match up when comparing paint charts to The Diesel Shop photo on the web site. This color scheme was used to match the UP ‘City’ trains on the Iowa Division.

What is driving this modeling project is the purchase of official construction photos from Fairban-Mores of this locomotive (built 08/1944) and sister engine 1806 (built 09/1945.) Now that I am semi-retired, modeling 1802 as built seems like a nice getting back into the hobby project. As a historical note, 1802 is now number 760 and preserved at the Illinois Railroad Museum.
 
I just found the Diesel Shop page and the color photo looks like the standard Armour Yellow and Harbor Mist Gray.
 
Last edited:


Do you have any other equipment? I wouldn’t worry too much about it being “ correct” as much as matching the rest of the equipment.

Thanks for responding. No, this is a one-of-a-kind project for me. I purchased a B&W photo of 1802 from a Fairbanks Morse factory photo collection, and it's such a dynamic photo that I am inspired to kitbash a model of this engine. I already have a Walters 10-44 from eBay to get started, and I'm now assembling all other nasty bits to complete the project. When looking at paint samples from various paint makers online for Armour Yellow, they look too much like dark mustard. Have ordered Armor Yellow and Harbor Mist Gray paint, plus UP flat versions of yellow and gray for creating test strips to determine which comes close. Thanks again.
 
Badger Model Flex colors are spot on for UP's scheme. Don't have the numbers handy at the moment.
Edit: The numbers are 16-24 for the yellow, 16-25 for the gray.
100_0064.JPG
 
Last edited:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top