Marx steam locomotive questions

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the rods from a Marx O gauge steamer, and if so, how? Due to how they're mounted; riding on a pin with the end mushroomed to hold them on, I'm not sure if it is, and I'd need to do that to do some upgrades I plan on doing to my prewar 597 Commodore Vanderbilt
 
Why was this moved to tinplate and hi-rail? I put it where it was because this is applicable to all Marx O gauge steamers, including the not-tinplate postwar one/s I'll need as parts donor/s to do the upgrades I want to do
 
I just keep them on. Taking them off may become a permanent situation. Unless you get into a tap or rivet.
For me anyways, removing the wheel is easier.
 


That's the thing, I can't just remove the wheels because I need a double-reduction motor from one locomotive and the rods from another that almost always had a single-reduction motor, and the wheels are not interchangeable between the single and double-reduction units
 
Do the best you can. Take your time removing the rods. If it works your done. If not look for another wheel.
It should work if the pin stays intact and swage the rod on.

After examining it, there should be no problem. It is a pin. You will need a round nail set punch.
I wonder if it is a replaceable part.
 
Last edited:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top