Making Aged Signs

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Forum:

I'm looking for different methods to produce the "aged" look of signs found on buildings. I am in awe of the work done by modelers like George Sellios and others and how they create that old look on building signage.

Thanks.

Greg
 
I for one have printed off signs on thin paper, let the ink throughly dry, wet, rub off a layer ar so of paper from the back, soak with white glue and mount. Use a wallpaper roller to squeeze it into the structure. If a brick surface, push with finger nails into mortar lines. Blend wall and sign together using acrylic paints. My results have been mixed, but have gotten better. It's low cost and fairly easy to change if you're not happy with the results.
 


I like to print my signs on tracing paper. There is no need to sand the back as the paper is already very thin. For a more weathered look I sand the front side of the sign with 1500-2000 grit paper until it is as faded as I want it to look. The finer the paper you use the more control you have over how much of the surface you sand. Then finish up with a little weathering powder.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top