Major changes!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


blue92rs

Cheaper than therapy!
Hello all! I haven't been on the forum in awhile because of some major life changes my family and I have had. We welcomed our second son into the world, I got a better job, and we moved to a larger home for less money per month! And the best part is the the 21' by 26' basement!!! :D
From mid March til mid April I built the benchwork and since then have been busy with trackwork and wiring. Its a pretty basic trackplan, but the Boss said I had to keep to around the walls, leaving the middle area open. So its a dogbone stretched around three walls. Here is my progress so far...
First pic is as you walk in. This will be the scrapyard and the powerplant.
Second pic is the junction which will serve a large industry. This industry will be a backdrop to conceal the long straight grade to the upper level.
Third pic is across the back wall. The upper level is the lead into the coalmine yard. The buildings are some old Tyco kits I built nearly 25 years ago. Not sure if they will stay there. The lower level is the overflow and lead into the junction.
The forth pic is the coalmine area and the tunnel entrance to the hidden staging under the coalmine.
 
Some more pics of the other end.
First one is closeup of entrance to hidden stage.
Second and forth are either end of the hidden staging.
The third pic is going to be a mountain. You can also see the lead into the other end of the coalmine as the track emerges from the tunnel.
After I received the Woodland Scenics tunnel portals I realized the upper level should be about 2 inches higher. Guess I will be adjusting all my risers :o This will also make reaching any derailment on the staging tracks a little easier.
 
Couple more shots of coalmine yard and the junction. Still waiting on some turnouts I ordered (to complete the spurs serving the backdrop industry) along with a bunch of Walthers Modulars, oil loading platform, Rix Products tanks, scrap loading crane, ect...
 


Wow! That's an impressive empire you are building. You have made terrific progress, and the photos are good, too. Love the coal train.

Most importantly, congratulations on the new addition to your family!

- Jeff
 
Welcome back and great to hear of all the good things that have happened for you. Layout looks great! Don't give up the old Tyco kits too soon. I was away from the hobby for over 20 years and when I got back to it I had several old simple bldgs that with all the detail parts now available I was able to improve or kitbash into something better. Worst case is you can always turn them into abandoned derelicts for a background or partially hidden viewing area.
 
NH Mike, your right about the old Tyco kits, I wont let them go to waste!
Patrick, I love your signature quote! Thanks for the congrats, and yes, with 2 boys and my daughter from my first marrage, time and money are tight!!! However, since my oldest son loves the trains as much as I do, my wife lets me slide :)
 
Very nice and congratulations. Looks like you have plenty of real estate down there.

Are you planning any kind of backdrop?
 
Oh yes, definately doing a backdrop. Going to attach long sections of hardboard to the back edge of the layout along the backwall of the basement and the coalmine area. I planned ahead for it when building the benchwork. I just have to attach uprights to the girders and Im all set! I also have plans for a fascia. The long, straight incline to the upper level will be hidden by another large backdrop which be my industrial area. I have several Walthers Cornerstone modulars on order which I will build into a large backdrop building. I haven't come up with a name for this industry yet, but it will receive covered hoppers, tankcars, and boxcars.
 


... I have several Walthers Cornerstone modulars on order which I will build into a large backdrop building. I haven't come up with a name for this industry yet, but it will receive covered hoppers, tankcars, and boxcars.


Sounds like a nice Brewery to me.

Nice work so far, cant wait to see it progress even further.
 
Wow, looks great and how nice it is to have a room to build a layout in is great. I too just moved but I still don't have time to build anything as I'm trying to get the old place rented and finish moving into the new place. I havee been spending time doing plans for the layout on my PC but not anything more then that. Currently the room is storage but enough about me. I have so many questions about your layout.
What is the radius of the ends?
How far from the walls have you built the benchwork out?
How much space will you end up with between the main bench and the staging yard?
Well, enough for now. I can't wait to see more.

Dave
 
Wow, looks great and how nice it is to have a room to build a layout in is great. I too just moved but I still don't have time to build anything as I'm trying to get the old place rented and finish moving into the new place. I havee been spending time doing plans for the layout on my PC but not anything more then that. Currently the room is storage but enough about me. I have so many questions about your layout.
What is the radius of the ends?
How far from the walls have you built the benchwork out?
How much space will you end up with between the main bench and the staging yard?
Well, enough for now. I can't wait to see more.

Dave

Hello Dave thanks for the compliments! To answer your questions;
I used Atlas Code 100 22" radius track sections for the ends and Atlas Code 100 flextrak and Customline #4 turnouts for the rest of the layout.
The narrow sections of the layout are 2' 6" wide and the ends are 4' wide.
I am going to raise the upper level 3 more inches giving me a total 6" of height for the hidden staging tracks.
 
Hey 92er, Congrats on the new child. Seems like a fair trade actually. She gets a new kid and you get a new train room. Wonder if that'll work if we have another. Since our boy was born I have had almost no time for my layout, glad you are getting some work done it looks great so far.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top