Looking for furniture for our HO gas station

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


RichKay

HavingFunInOur50s
We bought the Cornerstone gas station, works for old and new, its great! However, it has a rounded window where people would maybe sit while waiting for service or perhaps if there were mini mart items they could purchase. Our hope is to find furniture, a counter to check out and maybe even some grocery store type items. Where might we find things like this? I did stumble onto Hobbylinc.com and found some things. Hope someone out there can shed some light for us. Thanks :)
 
What you are talking about would be really simple to make using styrene plastic. And because it is inside it doesn't have to be perfect. Add a figure or two and no one will look closely at the furniture.
 
A few blocks of wood, some plastic, and a few printed signs and you're in business. That's the beauty of interiors: they don't have to be perfect, or even convincing on their own. The view through the windows, even through larger windows, is so restricted that just seeing people and shapes in there creates the required illusion.

I don't think anyone makes HO furniture commercially... I think Kibri has a set of umbrella tables in N, not sure about HO. Personally, I usually use strip wood, paper, and bits from the scrap bin.

I scrounged a decent counter and a few desks from a Bachmann bank building a while back, if they make an HO version check it out.

Also... figure out where you're putting the light bulb BEFORE you put in the interior, and lightproof the walls accordingly. Otherwise you'll have no end of annoyance with light leaks and glowing walls.
 


These will be seen through saloon doors-they were very simple construction. Note the simplicity of the bar.

RockRidge1905-0001.jpg
 
I know Great West Models and Preiser make some stuff for inside gas stations. I also remember years ago Walthers sold some detail kits for the Al's Victory Service gas Station. You could buy them for either the 40s-60s or 60s-80s in fact I think they may be the same ones greatwestmodels.com is selling.

As for furniture I'd just use some from the model power pack or get some plain chairs from another company. Since they're gonna be inside a gas station they don't need to be too fancy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking to furnish a house, but if you add up all the stuff(fridge, stove, beds, bath room sink, tub, tables...etc) I needed if would have cost around $150. Although if you need a few things that is ok.
 


Hi RichKay,

Jaks Industries carries a fantastic line of everything you need in furniture and others for HO. Go to http://www.scale-structures.com/ and get everything you need. I used to carry their entire line but I have since retired and no longer do train shows and mail order , although I still build structures and modules for individuals. Reaching 80 years old and still in damn good health and not seen a doctor for over 25 years , I had to slow down somewhere. LOL
If that doesn't get you there just Google jaks industries

Alec
 
I was looking to furnish a house, but if you add up all the stuff(fridge, stove, beds, bath room sink, tub, tables...etc) I needed if would have cost around $150. Although if you need a few things that is ok.

I saw pictures of interiors that were very impressive on a forum called railroad line. There's a sub section with just interiors. Can't remember the forum name that had this section. I think it had craftsman in the name
 
Busch makes a bunch of plastic interiors - they come in sets and seem to be a good price for all the stuff each includes. I see them in the Walthers Flyer all the time - the illuminated computer is the coolest of the bunch:
http://www.dallasmodelworks.com/products/product_detail_accessories.asp?ItemNumber=BU-189-5402

But I agree with the other posts that some simple scratch building might be the best way to go. If you have access to an old collection of Legos (or you kids won't notice a few missing and/or are happy to share with you), they make a great starting point.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top