Looking for cheap drill bits?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I was recently looking at this same thing for #50 bits. I found that Grainger is a good option for industrial supply parts. You can find all sorts of usefull stuff for model railroading. Most major cities have several Grainger locations. They even have several fan options for doing things like building a air brush booth too.
 
I have the dremel attachment for the small bits. Not a good idea if your drilling thru plastic. The high speed and the bit create alot of heat and start to melt the plastic, causing a build up on the bit, that stays hot and will melt the shell if it touches it. I tried it for grab iron holes and sucked.

Im hoping to get that attachment that has the hex piece for a micro drill from black and decker. Atleast I can control the speed.
 
I have the dremel attachment for the small bits. Not a good idea if your drilling thru plastic. The high speed and the bit create alot of heat and start to melt the plastic, causing a build up on the bit, that stays hot and will melt the shell if it touches it. I tried it for grab iron holes and sucked.

Im hoping to get that attachment that has the hex piece for a micro drill from black and decker. Atleast I can control the speed.

I've been working with only plastic. My pin vise is double ended, so I just break it down so I can fit it in the chuck of my 14 volt drill. I only let about 3/8" of the drill bit hang out, seems to work very well. Can change speeds but slower works much better than fast. I usuall just leave the drill sit on a flat surface and bring the shell into it. Haven't broken a bit since.
 


hmm, gave this a try without much luck. Are you able to heat the iron once and stick it all the way through the shell? If I got halfway through I was lucky, and I heated up the grab so it was very hot. Either I'm not doing something the same as you or my shells are thicker! :D Athearn BB shell.

I have been putting my pin vise in an electric drill and pushing the shell into the slowly spinning bit, seems to work well, haven't broke any yet.

It's been awhile since I've detailed anything and used the technique - I'll have to do some experimenting again and make an update. When I did it before, the grab pushed through the plastic with ease. One important thing I forgot to mention - it only works with the 'silver' looking (steel or stainless steel) grab irons, not brass or phosphor bronze; the heat weakens the latter quickly and they fold over.
 
Ask your Denist; he or she may give you some used bits for free. I asked mine and he gave me about ten new ones in a variety of sizes. Of course, for what he charged me for the work he did he still made our like a bandit.

Ray
 
One important thing I forgot to mention - it only works with the 'silver' looking (steel or stainless steel) grab irons, not brass or phosphor bronze; the heat weakens the latter quickly and they fold over.

This is exactly what happened:D
I'm using the Tichy grab irons and they discolored and bent very easy!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top