Looking for Apalachicola Northern Rolling Stock/Switchers

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Tlawrence

New Member
I have recently gotten into model railroading and have been looking to do a Prototype of the local short line that is now owned by Genesee Wyoming, I currently have 2 HO scale boxcars from Athern Road numbers AN5000, and AB5047 I am looking for all boxcars, and rolling stock minus Cabooses, I know the switchers SW1500s where made a couple of years ago, does anyone know where I can purchase these, and other boxcars with different road numbers, and the woodchip hoppers? Thank you in advance,

New To Railroading,
Todd
 
Todd,

First off WELCOME!! I'm sure that more than this answer will come your way. For OOP, (out of production), units, E-bay can be your friend. I've found a lot of OOP ocos on there. Plus you can also check with Microscale Decals for the Applachicola Northern. Also check with Herald King.

IIRC the paint scheme on these locos and cabooses was rather simple and would be easy to paint other units into that scheme.

Again welcome to the forum, and I hope we can answer any question you have.
 
Athearn's web site shows they've produced 9 different roadnumbers in at least 3 styles of 50' boxcar:

http://athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=50'+Box+RTR&CatID=THRF&AllRN=1&RN=AN

None in current production, but you might find them online through hobby shops that still have one or two in stock, or eBay.

(The two roadnumbers you indicated are NOT listed, are they old "Blue-Box" cars (unassembled simple kits in the old cardboard box)? Those old ribbed-side 50' Blue-Box boxcars are from the late 1970s and were pretty crude and will stand out noticeably against newer models.)

Atlas has also done a pair:

http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOFreight/tmho506boxcar.htm (Scroll down about 3/4)

These "TrainMan" series cars have cast-on details for the ladders, while the Athearn cars in the link above have separately applied steps and ladders, but these are more dimensionally accurate and less crude than the old "Blue-Box" Athearns. The Atlas Trainman and the old Athearn boxcars are based on the same prototype, a car built by American Car & Foundy (ACF). The old Athearn car is crude, has ugly door tracks for the sliding door, and some major inaccuracies (wrong roof to start with).
 
Last edited by a moderator:


CV I have 2 kits, the ones I have were picked up at a friends Dads house who used to work for the railroad they are both Athearn kits still wrapped in the pastic and unassembled one is made for the BEV BEL corp? kit 548 and the other one is Athearn number 05801 road numbers are 5047 and 5000 respectly. Thankfully for ebay I found 5011, and 5071 for 8 bucks a piece, not a bad deal imo.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top