Logging loco decoder

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Creepy

New Member
Hi all
Just a quick question, I hope somebody can help.
I have purchased from ModelTrainStuff a Mantua HO 2-6-6-2T with DCC and sound, I have searched the web everywhere for info regarding what make and model decoder is fitted, with no luck.
I wont receive the loco for a couple of weeks so I don't know what documents come with the unit. (I live in Australia)
If somebody could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou
Gary
 
G'day Gary, Model Power took over Mantua when they ceased manufacturing not long ago and MRC (Model Rectifier Corp) I see has the worldwide marketing of them http://www.modelpower.com/ Can't see any of those locos on the site listed as having both DCC & Sound, but it may have been stock from before the change of ownership. MRC make sound decoders. Hopefully Terry (bnsf971)will be along soon to help.
 


Gary, did you notice whether it comes with a small, hand control, that can be used to operate sounds (horn, bell) if running with DC?
 
Thanks Guy's ( Toot and Terry )
After a bit more investigation, yes you guy's are spot on, it is a MRC sound decoder, found one YouTube clip from MRC (poor recording quality) so when I get my loco I will post up a review.
From reseaching MRC decoders, most people don't like them much, as this is supposed to be a new version I will keep an open mind.:rolleyes:
This 2-6-6-2 logging loco was only $140 with dcc and sound (undecorated) so I hope it's not a case of "You get what you pay for"
All the best
Gary.
P.S. I will compare it with my Rivarossi Heisler, which has ESU LokSound.
 
Well if you already have experience with the loksound. You will simply laugh at the MRC decoder.

Total complete crap. I've had one (newer version) in my Atlas Genset. Total crap, sounded horrible. Ran horrible. Didn't respond to controls, motor control was complete crap.

Bottom line.... replace it as soon as possible.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top