ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hello everyone, why do some railroads mount the headlights of locomotives on the nose and other railroads mount the headlights on the roof? Is there a benefit to one location over the other? Or is it simply for that railroads particular style?
Thank you.
I'm no expert but I'll tell you what I know about it.
Years back most all locos were high hood units, when they got "chop nosed" some kept the lights up high where they were to start with, and some lowered them with the nose where they are right up front of the loco.
I prefer low nose headlights as there is no glare on the cab or into the windshield in fog and snow.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)