ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi,
Four of my older locos (2 Atlas RS11s and 2 Intermountain F7s) are starting to exhibit the same problem: after a stop, they often stall as soon a voltage is repplied for a re-start by the decoder. I have cleaned everything I can, track, wheels, cups, wipers, and decoder to frame contacts to no avail. I am starting to suspect a problem with the motor. Could this behavior be consistant with motor wear? Any ideas?
Pete
Do you possibly have a good motor that you could switch out with one of the problem locos? That would help to eliminate one possible problem. I know it is a pain in the rear but it is a process of elimination.
Four of my older locos (2 Atlas RS11s and 2 Intermountain F7s) are starting to exhibit the same problem: after a stop, they often stall as soon a voltage is repplied for a re-start by the decoder.
I am not certain I understand. Are these DCC dual mode decoders begin run with DC?
There is a CV setting for "kickstart". It applies a higher voltage for a very brief mini second for speed step 1. Check your decoder instructions for where it is. I think it might be CV65. CV 2 is for the locos that don't start rolling until you are a few speed steps up on the throttle.
Thanks everyone,
I have made little progress. I ran the loco with the shell off so when it stalled after a stop I could use my meter to very very gently check continuity betweem the track, the wheels, the wipers and the frame. It appears that one side goes open at the wipers upon restart after a stop. Could be poor wiper stub to copper strip contact or axel to axel cup. I've cleaned the hell out of the thing to no avail. I think I'll repalce the trucks. More latter. This little guy is pretty old so I may just replace the entire unit.
Pete
Sounds like ya just need to bend those wipers a little bit.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)