Loco Dyno stand?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Victor Ferguson

New Member
Anyone ever made or seen anything that is or could be a Loco Dyno (or Testing) stand?

I need to make something.

I have some Loco's that have running problems I need to solve.
Victor
 
Yes I have one for HO. It was made by Precision Manufacturing in San Antonio Texas. I've had this thing for over 25 years so I have no idea if they are still around or not. It is about 18 inches long and can handle up to 8 drive axles on the rollers. I'll try and post a picture of it in the next few days for you.
 


I have two. I keep one in the tool box and one on the bench. Happened when I lost the first one, a Precision MFG like the one mentioned. I ordered a Bachman from S&S Hobbies(a now defunct hobby shop) and it wasn't a month later I found the wayward unit. Murphy's Law #105.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Photos of the Precision Mfg unit.

The track piece is powered for steam engines that use tenders for pick up.
picture.php


Close up of the driver roller assy's. They can be individually turned either way to agree with wheel pick up polarity. The pilot wheel support is insulated on the bottom.
picture.php
 
Mike, don't those Precisions look like antiques? lol Yours looks to be in a tad better shape than mine. Dad had mine since I was a young whipper-snapper.

Mine is hooked up to its own 50-year old transformer. No need to worry about polarity. I just flip the switch to "change"direction. I use it for diagnostics and lubrication on my steamers. "Run in" after repairs, ect. It is also fixed to the work bench. It probably has more "miles" on it than some layouts.

Bob
 
You should have seen it before I cleaned it for the photos!!! :D The original track section had a fiber tie strip that had curled upward to a new and never before used narrow gauge. ;) I had to replace it with a piece of Atlas track.
Some may ask: "A fiber tie strip?". The only practical use I ever found for that was when I was a youngster a whole coil of it cost 50 cents and made a great fence on my American Flyer layout.

I mentioned the roller polarity for Victor and others who may never have seen one of these. Some diesels only pick up from one side of a truck and the opposite side of the other truck and some pick up from both sides of the same truck at both ends, as you know. The roller assemblies can be placed in whatever method the engine needs.
 
Photos of the Precision Mfg unit.

The track piece is powered for steam engines that use tenders for pick up.
picture.php


Close up of the driver roller assy's. They can be individually turned either way to agree with wheel pick up polarity. The pilot wheel support is insulated on the bottom.
picture.php
Mike:
Just saw this thread - where's the photos? Nothing showing in Firefox browser.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top