Loco comes to life on its own

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


brad.p

Lost between ATSF & BNSF
I have a Walthers Trainline loco which I have fitted a TCS T1 decoder into with LED lights. If this loco is left sitting on the track while other trains are running, it occasionally switches on its headlight and lurches forward an inch or 2 and then goes back to sleep. It does this intermittently while the other trains are running. I have replaced the decoder thinking there may be a fault with it, but the new one does the same thing.

Any ideas? :confused:
 
Do you have DC running disabled in CV29? That's what may be happening. If the decoder momentarily thinks it sees DC on the main it will try to run then say oh wait, not DC, nevermind. I have a lot fewer problems if I keep that option turned off since I never run my DCC locos on DC.

Andy
 
You're lucky, When mine decided to do it it ran max speed until it hit another engine. The CV29 change fixed the problem.
 


Do you have DC running disabled in CV29? That's what may be happening. If the decoder momentarily thinks it sees DC on the main it will try to run then say oh wait, not DC, nevermind. I have a lot fewer problems if I keep that option turned off since I never run my DCC locos on DC.

Andy

Being a newbie to DCC, this had me really confused. So far, all I have changed in the decoders is the loco address. I will try the CV29 change cos after my original post, I had a second loco give a single burst like the other one was doing. I guess if I ever want to run the locos on DC I will have to change CV29 first.

Thanks as always for the speedy response and advice. I am off now to change CV29 on the 3 locos with decoders in. By the time I have upgraded all my locos to DCC, I should be used to all these sort of funnies ;)
 
Thanks to all for the advice. I set the value of CV29 to 34 for all my locos which enables 4 digit addressing and also disables DC working and that appears to have fixed the problem.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top