Loading dock and Travelling Crane

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I put in two rails. I'm not exactly going for the protype bolt by bolt, but more of the feel of the real thing. The lay person won't know the diffenrence when it's sitting on my layout
 
I put in two rails. I'm not exactly going for the protype bolt by bolt, but more of the feel of the real thing. The lay person won't know the diffenrence when it's sitting on my layout


LOL. :p I know. I don't even know why I asked the question. I'm blaming it on the 80 degree weather.:cool:
 
I built the block and hook for the crane out of styrene shapes:

Pulley1.jpg

Started with the pulley

Pulley2.jpg

Then built the frame and hook around
Pulley3.jpg

The hook came from an old Walther's kit and I used brass pins to simulate the pulley axle and hook pivot.

I also added the dolly to the frame and an access ladder up the side for the occasional repairs that would have to be made.
LoadingRamp25.jpg


The project is almost wrapped up I'm trying to figure wether to use chain of cable for the hoist. I have both, the cable is model ship thread in a light brown color (light rust)and I'm leaning towards that but I do like the idea of chain as well.
 


I'd be thinking if'n you really want to you could even use both. I've seen a few cranes with chain and cable----I just don't know how that was accomplished but there it was:confused:;);)

BTW--overall a neat project!
 
Excellent work on the model, with enough detail to make it look believable. If it was me, I would use the chain, just because it gives the model a beefier look.
 
Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to go with chain since it will hang better than the rigging thread.
Here's the finished hook, painted yellow and weathered with Burnt mber and a black wash.
Pulley4.jpg


I'm working on the electrical pick-up for the dolly today. It's fabritcated out of styrene tubing and strip.
LoadingRamp26.jpg

It's not painted or permanetly glued to the model yet. I just wanted to see what it looked like before attaching it.
 
I finished the project this afternoon. I added the hook, using chain to attach it. (It does hang better) I also added a load being carried by the crane, a new water pump on a pallet. Here's a number of pictures of the finished structure on my workbench

LoadingRamp27.jpg

Loadingramp28.jpg

LoadingRamp29.jpg

I went with a different electical pick-up than perviously pictured. The first one didn't look right to me so I made one that was more 'boxy', to fit with the rest of the structure.
LoadingRamp30.jpg

LoadingRamp31.jpg


Here's a couple pictures of it on the layout. The aread hasn't been sceniced yet, just painted.
LoadingRamp32.jpg

LoadingRamp33.jpg


Comments or questions are always welcome. Thanks for everyone's encouragment through the project.
 


Now that has turned out nice. This is a great addition to the layout and will look great when you complete the scenery around the dock.

Thanks for sharing the whole build.

Dave
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top