ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I would like to replace the moulded lift rings on the top of my SD40-2s with proper rings. I'm just wondering what size I need and where to get them. I have 12 diesels to do.
use the detail associates lift rings. plain and simple.
HI !
Not sure but if you talk of the "half moon" on the rear of the last fan, detail associate make them.
Detail associate also make regular lift ring.
THanks !
There's no real size to lift rings, since they are all about the same. The ones sold by DA are close enough for all practical purposes on any locomotive.
and if you work with a ge, i strongly suggest the utah pacific rings. Made of brass and look much better then the molded on lift rings from the companies.
Jereome, I like the Plano ones. Never used them but I'll have to give them a try.
Steve, good point, GE lift rings are not the same as EMD and the Utah Pacific folding rings are much more accurate.
here is a pic of the utah pacific brass lift rings for GE's. These are installed on my P40/42 project.
And after being painted.
and a primered shot of the basic lift rings use for emd's
I tried making some but that didn't turn out so good...

i just realized the SD70ACe/M-2/90Macs/80macs use a different kind of lift ring on the radiator. Its not like the older style found on older EMD's and not like the GE lift rings. Has anyone seen these made for HO?
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)