ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I'm not familar with Menasha. I had already chosen Wisconsin as my location and when I discovered there was a Neenah Wi. I decided to use it since I live on Neenah Ave.
Nice work, everyone, even when the towns are still in the planning stages. Thanks for the kind words about Hillside.
George, I'm not that good a model railroader, but I have spent a lot of time looking at and taking picures of small towns. Except in large cities, like Gary's and Larry's, smaller towns have lots of trees, even in the downtown area. From an aerial view, trees should actually be the dominant thing, with the buildings kind of looking like they were built in a forest. This is even more true in a Southern town, which I'm trying to model. Trees and awnings were almost required, because we have so many hot months. There was always a courthouse square, with lots of trees and lawns, that folks would use to lounge around on during those hot summer afternoons. The funny thing is that natives who have come over to see the layout will say, "Oh, you've made a model of (X) town". It's actually not a model of any particular town but an almagamation of about seven different towns I visited for inspiration. It seems if you get enough elements of different towns together, your town will just look familiar to lots of people.
Jim - Traveling in the Midwest (by Zephyr) as a kid, it impressed me that from trackside all the towns had the same elements that made them look alike. From the highway side, that's true too. It's that Midwestern look I tried to capture in my smaller town of Fox Valley. Right now the business district is missing since it's on an access hole that I need open.
PS. Jim - I'm a lousy railroader too. If my trains ran half as good as my skyline looks it would be a miracle!
thanks for the kind words Gary. yours pics are just as nice as mine are. I really enjoy looking at everyones work as it shows diffrent perspectives and details that people focus on.
I'm digging the industrial area, but a coal mine in the middle of an industrial area is most interesting. Just where is the prototype? Never heard of that situation.
havent sceen a Coal mine in a industry aera but I wanted to move coal and have industry on the table. I had little room to put them in this small dog bone layout and thats where it ended up fitting...