ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I'm starting to put together a soybean processing plant. It's a crushing operation with raw beans coming in. Meal and oil will be going out. Sure could use some inspiration. I plan to scratch build most of the plant.
Here's a flour mill in Mankato MN. I just have the buildings sitting there to figure out the spacing for the buildings. I still have to add the track and details.
Here is one that was built to fit on the end of a free standing backdrop, you can see where it slid into the center of the elevator terminating at the peak. Each side of the backdrop is a different company.
Here is mine, although not all together. Still trying to get the weathering thing down. The conveyor shed on top of the silos is red just like the loading/unloading shelters.
It is attached as a Word document. Not comp. savy enough to get it on here.
Corey- Are those all kits or did you scratch build the whole thing?
Matt- I like the idea of splitting the structure for two sides and doubling the number of companies. Wonder what other buildings would lend themselves to that kind of thing.
Here's what I've got so far. It's still kinda rough but it allows me to develope the area.
One thing you might think about changing would be your grain tube leading to the small bin. If you can get rid of the horizontal part at the top it would add to the realism. Grain can't flow horizontally without a conveyor or auger. Sorry for the nit pick but being in Ag all my life it is hard not to notice something like that.
It all started out with the Walthers grain elevator. The mill I'm modeling had a few large silos at the end of a string of smaller ones. For the large silos I cut four inch PVC pipe and topped it with styrene. I still need to figure out how I want to extend the head house. The brick building on the far left is a D.P.M. modular kit. It represents the original flour mill which still stands today as part of the complex. The orange and white building is a Walthers background kit that has been mounted with foam core board for most of the unseen walls. It is actually about 75% foam core. The smoke stack is a Walthers stack mounted on a wooden block to gain the height needed to see behind the complex. This mill is quite large so I had to come up with kits to simulate all of the recognizable buildings. When my dad walked into the room he said "hey, it's Hubbard Mill!" Bingo, that means I'm close enough!
Here is an old picture from a different perspective.