Lets see your gondolas

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Same road name and # as Greg's, just hasn't been cut down to a 'shorty'.
P1011224.jpg

Hi Jeffery, :)

Yup that's the one... :D
Those old wheels make a great scrap load! They remind me of the really good movie well worth watching called "The Island"... where the people who are being chased let loose big train wheels off the back of a flatbed truck and they go bouncing and clanking all over the road. It has such a happy emotionally moving ending I always cry. :)

Usually the cut renders the road markings fragmented and unintelligible, but on that particular gondola they still made sense so no repainting was needed.

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Leave it to tooter to cut 3/4 of the car out, lol!

Here's a gon in process on my desk. It has a GT designation, so I guess its a gon.

I have a special connection to this car...when I worked for the RR I accidentily ran this exact car into the stop block at one of our customer's tracks. Ooops....:(

So I paid homage to its demise by rebirthing it in HO....:)
 


Thanks for the compliments guys-

Josh- I add alternate washes of solution and water to the rust finish to get the differences in rust color. It takes a little tweaking to get it to look "right"

Here is a larger version of the shot as requested by Zoegraf-

3935852072_28edace7f8_o.jpg

Just curious. You mention washes of solution and water to the rust finish to get it right. What are you using for a solution and what are you using to make the rust to begin with? Looks fantastic.
 
Chris,

I used Sophisticated Finishes Rust Solution- you can buy it at Michael's Craft Store. When I apply it, I water down the metal "paint" you put on first about 50/50. After the base coat dries, I go over it with the "rust" solution with a couple light washes, as it's still wet I add water and solution to other areas for variation in the color of the rust. It takes several passes and you have to be careful not to scrub the metal paint off while working in the rust solution and water. Hope that helps answer your questions- thanks for the kind words!

Matt Holman
Spring, TX
 
Thanks. One more question. What do you mean by "metal paint". Is this the factorys color as in black or red or blue or whatever the color of the car is?
 
Chris,
The Sophisticated Finishes solution consists of two bottles- one is a paint with metal in it that is painted on the object first. After that dries you paint a "rusting" agent liquid over that to make it oxidize. When I add the rusting agent, I layer it on and scrub it around to get it where I want it (same thing with the water washes)- scrubbing the rusting agent on too hard or too much can loosen that first coat of metal paint, exposing the paints/plastic underneath.

Matt Holman
Spring, TX
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top