ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hi all, I am about to start the conversion to DCC or Railpro (anyone have any experience w/ Railpro? it sounds like it "might" be a better system). My question is: instead of spending a lot of $ to buy a "name" power source for the system, could I use a computer power source? I have a couple of almost new ones that I replaced w/ bigger ones, so it would save me a lot of $ if I could use one of them. They put out a VERY clean DC current of 12 volts @ 312 watts (18 amps). Also 3.3 or 5 volts.
Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I did a Google search for Railpro and it didn't seem to offer any advantages in cost or size of receivers. In fact, it seemed to be the opposite.
I use 2 computer power supplies for powering switches and lights around the layout. I have not tried using one to power the DCC system.
Computer power supplies can put out 3.3 volts (only part of them), 5 volts, 12 volts, and 7 volts (but very limited)
There is info out there about converting them to “lab power pack” but you loose the 3.3 voltage and have not tried using 7 volts out of it. You will need a few parts, but it's just a few dollars depending on how you run the wires out the back.
I have converted a few of them over the years and the first 2 I did over heated and died. I would suggest upgrading the cooling.
One problem I see with trying to run a DCC system off of a computer power supply is that most DCC systems call for more than 12 volts input. They may run fine off of a 12 volt supply, but there is no guarantee. Even if the DCC system operates fine, it may not be enough voltage for the locomotives. Most DCC systems have a bridge rectifier on the power input and every decoder has a bridge rectifier on it. Each bridge rectifier will drop the voltage approximately 1.5 volts, and they may be additional voltage drop in the command station, so with a 12 volt power supply you are looking at possibly less than 9 volts maximum to the motor.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)