Layout Software

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Dualcore

Member
I have tried all the cad-based layout programs. If there are pre-made libraries of sectional track, I can't figure out how to use them. Does anyone make software with pre-made sectional libraries besides RTS and WinRail?

Have used Winrail for a long time, but the new version has almost excluded American mfg's from their updated library list.

I can't draw well enough to use the cad-based pgms, i need to lay sectional track.
 
I use AnyRail... it's not bad, the free version might expire at some point but it doesn't say when.
It has a pretty good track library, especially in HO. The misc. library in HO isn't bad, but in all other scales it's awful. It doesn't actually say what everything is, but you can figure it out by using whatever it is.
In other words, AnyRail works if you're modeling in HO. Otherwise, I'd suggest something else.
 


Thanks a bunch. I loaded the trial software. It covers every brand of track I use in both HO and N, and is intutive enough to use without a tutorial.
 
I'd love to be able to use on of those programs to help me with designing my track plan. I downloaded CAD RAIL ( I think, I'm not home right now). I tried using it but it's all foreign to me. I cannot figure how to use it. I guess I'm out of luck because I'm not that computer savvy at all.


Johnny B
 
AnyRail is actually pretty easy to figure out.
The accessories are useless for any but HO, though, and only HO and N scales have decent track libraries.
Really, though, that's the only thing bad I've found about it so far.
 
I installed Any Rail on my computer and played with it a little, and it is very basic. There are some nice examples you can download and learn from. I think I'm going to use one of the N scale examples and make some minor changes for my layout.

Here's the link to the examples: http://www.anyrail.com/examples_en.html

Cheers

Andy B.
 
XTrackCAD is a nice piece of software. You can do pretty much anything with it, including running trains. It is available for Linux and Windows (and can most likely be ported to most other Unix OS's). It has libraries for most track manufacturers in every scale, and allows you to spec your own turnouts. You can also add structures.
 


Yeah, XtrackCAD works well, but you have to be an admin to run it on Vista and this isn't my computer.
Plus, it's a bit more confusing.
 
Oh, and for those still considering what they should use, the new issue of MR (December, I think) has an article on picking track planning software.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top