Layout Road Names, etc.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


What about Johnny B. Good with his guitar?

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/chuck-berry/johnny-b-goode.html

To include a person carrying a guitar would seem appropriate. I've known the song forever, but never applied much thought to it. Good catch!

That somehow reminds me of the crossroads where Robert Johnson "made a pact with the devil" . Depending on the story you subscribe to, it would be the intersection of Rts. 49 and 61 or Rts. 8 and 1.
 
I don't really name the roads, but I do mess with the names of the businesses.

Places such as;
Parsons Pickles and Bakery. "Makers of World Famous Dill Dough"
Phartz & Howe Co. Baked Beans
Dr Seymor Hynee, Proctologist
Dr Phil Latio, Sex Therapist
Ben Dover Accounting
I.P.Dailey Plumbing Supply
and these are some of the tamer ones.

I also like twisted billboards, I've got a undistorted copy of this on the side of my grain mill!
fail-owned-pork-fail.jpg
 


I don't really name the roads, but I do mess with the names of the businesses.

Places such as;
Parsons Pickles and Bakery. "Makers of World Famous Dill Dough"
Phartz & Howe Co. Baked Beans
Dr Seymor Hynee, Proctologist
Dr Phil Latio, Sex Therapist
Ben Dover Accounting
I.P.Dailey Plumbing Supply
and these are some of the tamer ones.

LOL:D

Reminds me of at least my favorite set of names on our club layout, the Attorneys of Cheatum, Cumming, & Goin! What's even funnier, these names were from gentlemen who were on the board of the First National Bank of Griffin Ga. all at the same time! Also of the Hinney Winery in Citronelle Al., with Big Red & Seymour, the Winemasters!;) Their motto was; "If it Tastes Good, Just Kiss Your Hinney!
 
Can't hurt to add music.

Alot of times I'll play 60's and 70's era music that matches my layout's era.
 
... the Attorneys of Cheatum, Cumming, & Goin!

If you ever listen to Car Talk on the radio, they always have a long list of people to thank at the end of their show. Their lawyers are Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe. Their statitician is Marge N. Overa, and their Russian chauffeur is Pikoff Andropoff.

Steve S
 
While mentally assembling my railroad, I've decided to include musical references to the layout.
1. Does/Has anyone else done this?
2. What other ideas do you have?
My Freelance Railroad was extended through North River to Emerson Lake. There it met another shortline with the other end in Palmer. That was in high school, and about as close to music references as I got.

As to other ideas, I can think of what Walthers has already done with a Clarkesville Station (Monkees). There would of course be the "Dew Drop In" bar from the Uneasy Rider (1974? don't remember the artist).
 
While mentally assembling my railroad, I've decided to include musical references to the layout.

For example, I'm planning on using the following:

A Tastee-Freez restaurant from John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane".

Naming a road "Gypsy Angel Row" after Bruce Springsteen's "Spirits In The Night".

Naming another road "Thunder Road" after Springsteen's song by the same title.

Naming a seedy little motel by the ocean (if my railroad makes it that far) "Memory Motel", after the Rolling Stones song.

I know there are some other great ideas out there.

1. Does/Has anyone else done this?
2. What other ideas do you have?

Cool concept, I really dig the use of "Thunder Road"!
 


If you ever listen to Car Talk on the radio, they always have a long list of people to thank at the end of their show. Their lawyers are Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe. Their statitician is Marge N. Overa, and their Russian chauffeur is Pikoff Andropoff.

Steve S

Occasionally, at the end when they're naming all their folks, they'll say that their disc brake expert is Slomedown Milosovich, and their tire expert is Yassir Itsaflat. I sent them those names about 10 yrs ago, and they loved them!:D

Also since they were my idea, these two men also work in my wheel and brake shops on the Alabama Central RR.
 
After building one of my many layouts [10 and still counting]. i had built a large mountian area. It had a mt.that run from 20 ins below the table to about 2ft high. Leaning over so much to complete this area, i decided to call this layout the" AKIN-BAK RR '.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top